What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Finished the oil and filter change on the S-10 that I started yesterday; left it to drain over night just to get the last drop of nastiness out of the oil pan. Buttoned that up with a fresh new gasket on the pan plug and poured in 5 quarts of Royal Purple 5W30; 4 for the pan and 1 for the filter. Got into the habit of prefilling the filter prior to running it up into place. Saves a little time because the filter doesn't have to wait to fill up before oil starts to return back to the galleries.

Also got the new front shocks installed. The clip kit for the lower control arms that is used to secure the lower shock tabs that came from OPGI is fractional, 5/16ths bolts. They are shorter than the 8mm trapped washer bolts that were the factory choice. The clips from E-Bay were correct metric pieces. I couldn't lay hands on the correct bolts, 8mm x30mm with the trapped washer but did find ones with a shouldered head to which I added some heavy washers to get what i needed. Would not have used the 5/16ths in any event as the shocks were KYB gas units and the shorter screws would have been a major pita while trying to pry/manipulate the shock into position while trying to align and start the screws at the same time. Never seized everything I could puts my hands on.

Shot a couple of coats of primer filler on the front fender eyebrow. The back got help up due to a minor crater appearing in the skim coat of filler that had to be addressed. Letting each step dry or cure overnight due to the lower temps and miserable humidity. Cool and damp is not conducive to watching paint dry.

Pulled the winter wheels out of the truck box and brought them and their new rims up to the house. They go for a rim swap tomorrow. The old rims are so badly eaten around the perimeter of the hole that indexes the rim to the shoulder on the axle that it's the studs that are doing all the work; not polite to lean on them that way.

Still have to grease the front end; more time in my bunny suit, looking more and more like a winter camo suit than something the white rabbit would recognize.

No pics

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Finished the oil and filter change on the S-10 that I started yesterday; left it to drain over night just to get the last drop of nastiness out of the oil pan. Buttoned that up with a fresh new gasket on the pan plug and poured in 5 quarts of Royal Purple 5W30; 4 for the pan and 1 for the filter. Got into the habit of prefilling the filter prior to running it up into place. Saves a little time because the filter doesn't have to wait to fill up before oil starts to return back to the galleries.

Also got the new front shocks installed. The clip kit for the lower control arms that is used to secure the lower shock tabs that came from OPGI is fractional, 5/16ths bolts. They are shorter than the 8mm trapped washer bolts that were the factory choice. The clips from E-Bay were correct metric pieces. I couldn't lay hands on the correct bolts, 8mm x30mm with the trapped washer but did find ones with a shouldered head to which I added some heavy washers to get what i needed. Would not have used the 5/16ths in any event as the shocks were KYB gas units and the shorter screws would have been a major pita while trying to pry/manipulate the shock into position while trying to align and start the screws at the same time. Never seized everything I could puts my hands on.

Shot a couple of coats of primer filler on the front fender eyebrow. The back got help up due to a minor crater appearing in the skim coat of filler that had to be addressed. Letting each step dry or cure overnight due to the lower temps and miserable humidity. Cool and damp is not conducive to watching paint dry.

Pulled the winter wheels out of the truck box and brought them and their new rims up to the house. They go for a rim swap tomorrow. The old rims are so badly eaten around the perimeter of the hole that indexes the rim to the shoulder on the axle that it's the studs that are doing all the work; not polite to lean on them that way.

Still have to grease the front end; more time in my bunny suit, looking more and more like a winter camo suit than something the white rabbit would recognize.

No pics

Nick

So I'm genuinely curious at this point. You pour your heart and soul into this S10. Is it being driven or being brought back from the dead?

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Mornin' Supercharged 111. Oh yeah, it gets driven. This S-10 happens to be both my daily driver and my winter ride. I've moved everything from wallboard to wheels with it, including 60 lb bags of concrete for my sidewalk project a few years back. it has taken me to hospital and been there to bring me home afterwards; that last one was for a pacemaker, Merry Christmas to me!

So yeah, it gets worked on and I periodically mention what is going on. This summer has been harder due to lots of shift time at work. By the time the day is over my a** is dragging and little left over to give to the projects.

Haven't had much to post on Project Regress lately simply because I've had to shift priorities to get my daily back on the road. MY G-10 needs to be put away as it is only for summer and that has pretty much left the country up here.

Appreciate the interest.

Nick

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Still working on me guys recovering from surgery sucks when you get old lol tried doing some cleaning and organizing around here over the weekend and hurt my back. I guess I shouldn't be trying to move cutlass doors alone after surgery. Anyway I'm moving slow but I'm moving

Reactions: 7 users
Nov 4, 2012
Still working on me guys recovering from surgery sucks when you get old lol tried doing some cleaning and organizing around here over the weekend and hurt my back. I guess I shouldn't be trying to move cutlass doors alone after surgery. Anyway I'm moving slow but I'm moving
Good to hear from you. Hope to see some progress when you're back up and able.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My old Murray self propelled lawn mower was acting up. [yeah- at 70 I can appreciate self propelled] I found out that pushing the primer bulb pressurizes the float bowl, forcing gas up the main jet into the carb throat, and if the bowl gasket leaks, no primer. The local small engine parts place had ONE gasket and I am thankful for that. But when I got home I ordered a bunch for later. Also the main jet/bowl nut gasket, and carb to intake O-rings they didn't have. Fleabay to the rescue. So I clean and rebuild the carb, new gaskets, start it up and it works fine. But I always felt it was running slow. I looked up the specs on the Briggs site [wonderful site- loaded with info https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/home.html] and saw that the no-load max rpm was 3100. I have a digital inductive tachometer that tells me the rpm just by holding it near the spark plug while running. Yup, slow. It looks like the throttle spring got stretched out so I carefully bent it to tighten it up. The closest I could get it was 3050 and that is good enough for gubmint work. This tach is great for small engine repairs. https://www.amickssuperstore.com/DTI_2_Cycle_Two_Stroke_Hand_Held_Tachometer_p/dti tech-tach tt-20k tach.htm
1695245210479.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
I changed up the look of the tail lights on my F150. I've always thought the factory tail lights looked too busy, however all of the aftermarket options are too expensive and/or butt-ugly. The factory LEDs look nice but I'm not willing to get a second mortgage to pay for them. So the low tech, low budget option was to modify the originals. Red VHT Nightshades, a bit of wetsanding and polishing, and they look less candy canes and more like tail lights.
20230921_192539.jpg
20230921_201543.jpg
20230922_141159.jpg

20230922_141220.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Better half's daily driver 03 Highlander rusted out around the hanger on the cat.
Not enough good pipe to weld in a stub so the whole thing had to come out. Walker aftermarket cat sleeves into the resonator so there was no saving that either. So up on the Quik-Jack and two broken bolts later I excised the farting demon from underneath. New parts go on tomorrow.

Attachments

• cat convertor.jpg
    cat convertor.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Shot the first coat of base on the S-10 panels. The temps and humidity both suck. Followup shot will have to be tomorrow for various reasons. Might mean I have to color sand the first coat but at least it is progress.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Always wanted a '61 Starliner, chased this one for a few years over a couple owners... building a 462 FE stroked 428, velocity 8 stacks through the hood... RWL NASCAR style looks killer. Ill say **** Fords but this was their best design ever. cars are art to me, I don't ever connect with car guys unless its about vision and making something their own...
20221208_152653.jpg

144651270_10164836528470716_7692707574010618647_n.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor