What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Always wanted a '61 Starliner, chased this one for a few years over a couple owners... building a 462 FE stroked 428, velocity 8 stacks through the hood... RWL NASCAR style looks killer. Ill say **** Fords but this was their best design ever. cars are art to me, I don't ever connect with car guys unless its about vision and making something their own... View attachment 228440
View attachment 228441

Old stuff gets a pass.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Hope it came with new or good used quarter panels 'cause it sure looks like there is cancer of the lower rear quarter on the passenger's side just aft of the wheel house.

Also curious if you have a source for those stars that ought to adorn the rear roof pillar.

With the souped up 428, going with disc brakes up front for a little more whoa to match the go??

Nick

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I've been chasing my security light issue in this truck, so far everything I've tried does not turn it off.

Pretty much I'm thinking the Theft Deterrent portion inside the Body Control Module potato'd. That does happen, I'm fortunate enough to turn off the VATS in the PCM and be able to drive the truck. Just have to live with that light on. Been trying to figure out what wire from the BCM communicates to the Gauge Cluster so I could clip it but I don't think it's that simple. Unplugged the connector with the Serial Data Wire in it and the light stayed on.

Still runs and drives, I'll take it.

20230923_144756.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have been struggling to figure out how the 1969 Camaro hardtop roll bar can fit my 1968 Firebird convertible. The main uprights don't mount to the rockers as I assumed, but rather right to the weak floors. The rear supports mounted to the inner fender wells, but now interfere with the top mechanism. Then the light bulb went off. I swapped the rear supports from side to side, pulled them inboard with a come-along, and they fit! The mounting plates hang over the edge but I can heat and bend them down to bolt to the vertical sides. The floors are weak so I got some 3/16" diamond plate and cut/bent it to overlap from the rear seat support area to the front seat support area. Getting it to bend down into the footwell took my cutting torch and small sledgehammer [torture!]. Now the main uprights can bolt to the plate and not just the floor. I need to massage the floor a bit for a tighter fit. Once welded in the plates will be super strong. The best part is that the top goes up and down without contacting the roll bar. I think this is really going to work! IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0718.JPG IMG_0714.JPG IMG_0719_01.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Good point. It was mostly to get them past the mechanism. Once past, I let them back out until the mounts sit on the inner fenders. If released completely, they rest against the top's arms. I could pull them away from the mechanism with my hands, so, not a lot of stress.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Yep, about what I figured, ended up wet sanding the first basecoat shot with 320 wet. Used a little dish soap in the sanding water to act as a lubricant. Elected to also relocate the masking paper to reveal the whole side of the panel. Did cover over the tailight lense to avoid overspray on it. The second basecoat shot went off okay but the clearcoat may end up having to be clear coat sanded with 500 W/D and reshot too. The air temp is marginal but it is the humidity that may be the culprit. I will know tomorrow when I lift the main door and use daylight as my light source to see what I have. The LED work lights are good for eliminating shadows but give a false impression of the color.

The eyebrow on the front fender, on the other hand took its color without issue and cleared out nicely as well. it will get to sit and cure a little more I have one more day of R'n' R then back in for the third week of shifts. After that, probably nothing until after Canuck Thanksgiving which for us is in October.

Total non-sequitur here, but kind of nice to have Turkey day fall that way in our calendar as it puts more prep time between Turkey day and Christmas, unlike how it is down where you all are at which gets to celebrate Thanksgiving barely a month before Christmas!!! Too close sez I and too hectic and stressful. Not sure what this Christmas will be like; had one cousin pass last week and an in-law is in rough shape and doing a round of radiation therapy.

Good possibility that I might get called in for the pre-Christmas week as that has happened before. Despite the money being useful, I may turn it down just because the cost in stress due to driving while trying to dodge the Christmas squirrels and sheeple isn't worth the paycheck and gut muscle grief that ensues. Salad and Boost aren't ideal as things to consume for Christmas dinner.:D

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So do those rear mounting plates now butt up against the inner curve of the fender will, or do they sit down beside the inner fender wells and on the section of frame rail there?

Nick

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
My garage is full of non-G not my stuff. I've been on a roll these past couple weeks IDing stuff to unload, unloading, and getting stuff to unload. Then in 2 days time 2 broken cars found their way here.

PXL_20230924_032035104.jpg

The truck had the outer wheel bearing explode on the driver's side. It ate the spindle so I grabbed one at the junkyard today, had the rotor turned, new bearings, go for a test drive, and I hear a bad wheel bearing. Mfer! No way did I screw that up? Whether I did or didn't remains to be seen. Turns out the passenger side wasn't too far behind. Sounds like gravel when you spin the thing. So that's for tomorrow. Tonight I'm about to finish dropping the T56 Magnum out of that Camaro and find out why reverse left the building. Need it back together FAST as we have a race this coming weekend and this car needs to be there. Our counts have sucked and this car is not only a regular, but also fast. Also also, this thing blew a motor back in April and made a fast miracle turnaround from that. It's very well put together so it deserves to be on the track. First time I've had another race car in my garage. Also the first time I've had 2 customer cars inside at the same time. The profits will go toward the rest of the crap I need to amass to get a cam into my C5Z. :cool:

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So the Camaro has a T56 Magnum in it and reverse crapped out today. I now see why.

PXL_20230924_051020115.jpg

Hmm, seems like there should be stuff here?

PXL_20230924_051029314.jpg

There's some stuff. But where's the rest of it?

PXL_20230924_051130348.jpg

Someone owes that magnet a beer. But wait, there's more!

PXL_20230924_052951364.jpg

Turns out this thing had a double cone reverse syncro. Not anymore. I'll need to be aggressive with shipping to get this shjt here in time for the weekend. The spare transmission for this has different gearing and this Magnum had a 32 spline output so my overwhelming preference is to get this lump whole again and reinstalled.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor