What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
So the gear is what let go.

View attachment 228644
View attachment 228643

Those are 2 separate pieces laser welded together. I overnighted a reverse gear, syncro assembly, and speedo reluctor as I cracked that removing it. Oh what fun that was finding. When you look up 6060/Magnum reluctor all you find is 12 tooth or 40 tooth and they have a relief cut out for a ball to sit in and locate the thing. This just presses onto a smooth part of the main shaft and has 17 teeth. After calling like 19 shops/dealers and Tremec themselves I came to realize this same reluctor was used by GM in the CTSV and GTO (and likely the SSR). This trans is a Magnum F, so a little different than a regular magnum. I had no idea that was a thing until today. Thegearbox.org had it all on the shelf so that's who got the money. Hopefully I can get this buttoned up in the next day or 2 so my beloved Corvette can park inside again.

View attachment 228645
I'm wondering how that grenaded..

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm wondering how that grenaded..

Something about the fact that the syncro lives on the main shaft according to Modern Driveline. The gear ought to remain stationary, but I suppose the only thing holding it is the syncro itself so it must always have a bit of pressure on it?

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
The mounting plates were supposed to sit flat on the inner fenders of a hardtop car. Now, reversed, they are half way on the edge. So I will bend them so the other half can drop down against the sides. I figure that vertical part is even stronger than just sitting on a weak fender well. But the flat foot of the actual support tube is right at the edge, an inch or so inboard of the drop down. That should be much stronger than the wide wheel well. The side with the S hook will be bent over flat against the sides. I know from working on the top mechanism that I will need to be getting at those bolts and adjustment points again. If I weld that in I am major screwing myself.
215475-8a81d428f39245d8dc2938c0d748e761.jpg
weld in a base plate and then bolt the arm to it so you can remove as needed?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
weld in a base plate and then bolt the arm to it so you can remove as needed?

Yes, that is the plan. I need structural enhancement, while still being able to service the car's interior. The top mechanism is particularly problematic and welding in the bars would be ultra stupid. This 3/16" diamond plate stuff is the answer, but I am stalled right now. My oxygen hose burst, one of my check valves is leaking, and I am doing a much needed upgrade before proceeding. While waiting on parts, I went fishing and that was rewarding. Now I'm waiting for the tropical storm to leave.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Got the trans back together and back into this thing.

PXL_20230928_031930443.MP.jpg

What a chore! Solid engine mounts can eat a bowl of d!ck$. The engine didn't budge when I dropped the trans mount. That also meant I couldn't push the trans above plane to get some wiggle wiggle in the direction. Maybe I should have cracked the mounts loose? I ended up driving a couple of guide bolts and 2 fully threaded bolts backed with nuts. I ran the nuts down by hand, jerked the trans around, took up the slack in the nuts, and repeated until that sucker was basically bottomed out. About the only way I could pull it in while not fearing I'd forced the thing in. After that it was gravy. Thing is done and getting picked up tomorrow around lunch time. Now I have to beat his *ss this weekend. How many plug wires should I leave hooked up? Or maybe give him 5:1 AFR or pull 20 degrees of timing from his tune ? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
changed out the fogged headlights on my sister in-laws rav4,changed the oil in my pickup and loaded some tools for work.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
The mounting plates were supposed to sit flat on the inner fenders of a hardtop car. Now, reversed, they are half way on the edge. So I will bend them so the other half can drop down against the sides. I figure that vertical part is even stronger than just sitting on a weak fender well. But the flat foot of the actual support tube is right at the edge, an inch or so inboard of the drop down. That should be much stronger than the wide wheel well. The side with the S hook will be bent over flat against the sides. I know from working on the top mechanism that I will need to be getting at those bolts and adjustment points again. If I weld that in I am major screwing myself.
215475-8a81d428f39245d8dc2938c0d748e761.jpg
Too bad you can't bring them just that bit closer to each other so that they lay completely against that back panel and totally off the curve of the inner fender houses.

Nick

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Stopped over my stepmoms to close off her deck with the weather changing
20230926_193011.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor