What did you do to your non-G Body project today [2024 edition]

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So while I was waiting for the panel to succumb to all the pressure I had applied to it, i decided to do some work fitting and tacking on a project that I had on the welding deck.

DSCN4069.JPG

DSCN4070.JPG

Today's subject is an extended kick stand that I had brought in to be installed on my HD bagger. While only 2 inches longer than a stock part, what started to concern me was the amount of leverage over distance that my bike would be applying to that stand. So I came up with this.

DSCN4071.JPG

DSCN4072.JPG

Once I had finished stripping all that bright fresh new chrome plating off the stand's shaft, I then elected to use some 1/2 inch angle and create a re-inforcing rib that would be attached to the bottom curve of the shaft. Once completely burned in and ground smooth, the rib extends all the way from the foot of the stand as far as the pivot stud that mounts into the frame socket. As can be seen, I still have some more welding to do; for the best penetration versus material thickness, I set the Miller for working with 3/16ths and used the suggested wire feed speed that the machine seemed to like. Rather than trying for continuous passes, and failing, I went with a progression of tacks that allowed me to move from spot to spot. That let me minimize the absolute amount of heat being applied to the stand shaft while getting decent penetration at the same time.

For those with good memories, yes that clamping fixture is the same one that I created to use with the fender braces i fabricated for another project. it does a nice job of keeping the round shaft secured in position so that I am not fighting the work to keep it aligned while i am trying to set tacks.

The balance of the seams that remain to be welded will get done tomorrow and then it will get a lot of love from the 4,5 and a 60 gr flap wheel. After that, if I identify any spots that need some additional OCB (see post on G-Body project) then they will get addressed and it will be time for a test fit. If I remember, I will try to grab a shot or two of the post grinder work once done.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Had a surprise AR job for a co-worker. Wanted me to swap out the free float hand guard that came with his PSA AR for a copy of a Yankee Hill Machine free float hand guard. It's been awhile since I played armor but all went good. Maybe this will motivate to start my next build.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
Late last week my Dad purchased this Honda CR-V from his sister with the intent of giving it to my youngest sister to drive to college in the fall. We brought it home today.
20240528_165444.jpg

My aunt bought the car new, I actually went with her when she bought it. It's only got 130k miles and runs/drives/stops, no lights on the dash and everything works, but it has seen only the minimum amount of maintenance its whole life. And I don't think it was ever cleaned. I don't even have before pictures because the second it got in the driveway I started cleaning it. Pressure washed the engine bay, pulled the front seats, vacuumed and began extracting the carpets. Polished the yellow headlights. Changed the (filthy) air filter. Bought new oil and an oil filter as well. Other fluids to come soon. Needs a rear wiper and some bulbs. I'm not getting very in-depth with this car. Just cleaning it up and changing fluids. It would be nice if she could not destroy it when it's done but that might be wishful thinking.
20240528_165352.jpg
20240528_162655.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Late last week my Dad purchased this Honda CR-V from his sister with the intent of giving it to my youngest sister to drive to college in the fall. We brought it home today.
View attachment 240090
My aunt bought the car new, I actually went with her when she bought it. It's only got 130k miles and runs/drives/stops, no lights on the dash and everything works, but it has seen only the minimum amount of maintenance its whole life. And I don't think it was ever cleaned. I don't even have before pictures because the second it got in the driveway I started cleaning it. Pressure washed the engine bay, pulled the front seats, vacuumed and began extracting the carpets. Polished the yellow headlights. Changed the (filthy) air filter. Bought new oil and an oil filter as well. Other fluids to come soon. Needs a rear wiper and some bulbs. I'm not getting very in-depth with this car. Just cleaning it up and changing fluids. It would be nice if she could not destroy it when it's done but that might be wishful thinking.
View attachment 240091 View attachment 240092
Does she drive like your other sister?:ROFLMAO:

• Haha

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Working the past few nights on the 55 Chevy. MSD ignition module with rev limiter, added a cooling fan relay and temp sender, along with a manual bypass switch, N2O relay, wiring, etc,, headlight high/low beam relays (all are weatherpack with an addition fuse block on a custom mounting plate). I made a custom throttle bracket to hold the micro switch and throttle cable. I still have a bunch to do before Power Tour!

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Does she drive like your other sister?:ROFLMAO:
You're close enough by, you really ought to offer to help her out with the car, maybe take her to some car get togethers... who knows, maybe you gain a brother in law to fix the monte....

• Haha

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
You're close enough by, you really ought to offer to help her out with the car, maybe take her to some car get togethers... who knows, maybe you gain a brother in law to fix the monte....
National Hockey League Flirt GIF by Seattle Kraken

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Those CRVs are pretty tough. Keep up the maintenance and it's good for 300k easy. Only real repair work I remember doing is a couple transmission pressure switches, which are external.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor