What did you do to your shop today?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Got an overflow location today.

It's an enclosed bay, 12 feet wide, 40 feet long. Has a chain lift roll up door about 16 feet tall. Roof is about 18ft, could be 20 since I didn't measure. Guessed on the height standing and marking doorway then walked back and estimated.

Has rows of fluorescent lamps on roof. Lighting electric is included in rent.

The price is $120/mo, works about 25 cents a sq ft.

I've got too many lingering projects or junkers that need to be stripped, chopped, and junked. Where I'm living 90% of the time now just has a normal 2 car garage.

This should let things get cleared out a little bit.

Plan is to first get a 78 c10 parts truck in and a mildly wrecked salvage title 94 that needs to surrender its driveline (350/4l80ehd/14sf) to an unknown future project. Once it's in there I'll at least look at the wreck damage with an eye towards repair but it's a LH 3/4 nose situation and isn't needed so.... parts is parts?

I do need to find someone to tow them at reasonable price from metro Atlanta to the coast though, and thats an easy 240 loaded miles at least!

Reactions: 4 users

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Got to rent a new shop yesterday. I couldn't do anything on my projects since I moved 200mls south a year ago, having all my stuff still in my old shop and due to Covid travel restrictions. Asking around where I live now payed out, a co-worker told me last week that his landlord has a shop available soon and this would be the perfect fit.
Checked it out last weekend and got a call yesterday that I can move in by June, when the current tenant moves out.
It's 7,5m x 11m with two huge sliding doors on the long side. About 6m height with a balcony style first floor. 32A 400V power and all that stuff. Price is about half of what is usually due in my area (300€ / month). The best part, it's about 10 minutes from my office.

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Moved parts around and peeked into unmarked boxes to discover what they had to offer; put tools back into their totes; combined parts for common projects into a single stash.

Nick

Reactions: 3 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Took the day off work today to take my wife to her doctor appointment. Afterward, I dinked around in the garage and did a little more organizing. I hung the two little parts cabinets that I revamped a few weeks ago, hung another parts container, and did various other organizing tasks. Nothing major, just a little here, a little there.

Reactions: 1 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Removed 20+ feet of butcher block bar top from a hotel
My plans are to refurbish it into other things first piece went for a new top on my toolbox I am also doing a backsplash so stuff doesn’t roll off the back of my box

Attachments

• 2FA79388-A28C-4426-82F5-05BC1CEE8BB6.jpeg
    2FA79388-A28C-4426-82F5-05BC1CEE8BB6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • 1406673D-2505-4A9C-B42D-E8BAD010FED0.jpeg
    1406673D-2505-4A9C-B42D-E8BAD010FED0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

butch2427

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 15, 2020
Chattaroy, WA
The shop got a big upgrade, a 10K pound lift. No more crawling on the ground.....I hope
IMG_4247.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 18 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Well, started off with digging footer. Concrete guy said we need 2 truck loads of dirt. Called local company that i know and said let me know when they leave so i can meet them at the gate. I get a call when the are way in my drive and committed to getting stuck. So drive FUBAR'D up. he was able to drop the dirt 500 yards away from where i need it. I also now need to get 2 loads of dirt AND 2 loads of rock. Add to that I dropped my Iphone and cracked it. I am on my second Evan Williams and i predict maybe 4

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
professor farnsworth futurama GIF

Seems the Feds have decided to give us the cost of living increase we were due over the last three years.

Not that it wouldn't have helped back then or been invested or something... grumble grumble grumble...

Natasha, sick of hearing me groan in the morning, has green lit me to buy a hoist.

Requirements:
1. Can drive another car under a raised vehicle (no weird half height scissor lifts); and
2. Be ALI certified (our business insurance will demand it).

Limitations:
1. Radiant floor heating (don't what to hit a tube, the floor is reinforced concrete); and
2. Ceiling height (129" clear, limits 2 Post designs).

Nice to haves:
1. Can walk under a lifted car (I am 5'-11");
2. 110v is ideal (220v is available but usually occupied); and
3. Mobility (improves flexibility).

Here are the two options I am looking at.

2 Post:

4 Post:

Thoughts?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

Seems the Feds have decided to give us the cost of living increase we were due over the last three years.

Not that it wouldn't have helped back then or been invested or something... grumble grumble grumble...

Natasha, sick of hearing me groan in the morning, has green lit me to buy a hoist.

Requirements:
1. Can drive another car under a raised vehicle (no weird half height scissor lifts); and

Limitations:
1. Radiant floor heating (don't what to hit a tube, the floor is reinforced concrete); and

Nice to haves:

2 Post:

4 Post:

Thoughts?
The 4 post is a PITA when it comes to tire rotations and brake jobs, also has the negative of twice as many obstructions on the floor level...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015

Requirements:

Limitations:

Nice to haves:

2 Post:

4 Post:

Thoughts?
I have a four post at my mother's house. With a ten foot ceiling. I can not get a car high enough to work comfortably under it and I am 5'3". I doubt I could park anything taller than a Corvette under it. Also doing wheel or brake work is kind of a pain, but being off the floor is nice. I have the ok from my Mother to take it to my house. Hence why I framed a opening in my ceiling for a car roof. I should be able to get a car all the way up in there. How thick is your concrete?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor