What did you do to your shop today?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
professor farnsworth futurama GIF

Seems the Feds have decided to give us the cost of living increase we were due over the last three years.

Not that it wouldn't have helped back then or been invested or something... grumble grumble grumble...

Natasha, sick of hearing me groan in the morning, has green lit me to buy a hoist.

Requirements:
1. Can drive another car under a raised vehicle (no weird half height scissor lifts); and
2. Be ALI certified (our business insurance will demand it).

Limitations:
1. Radiant floor heating (don't what to hit a tube, the floor is reinforced concrete); and
2. Ceiling height (129" clear, limits 2 Post designs).

Nice to haves:
1. Can walk under a lifted car (I am 5'-11");
2. 110v is ideal (220v is available but usually occupied); and
3. Mobility (improves flexibility).

Here are the two options I am looking at.

2 Post:

4 Post:

Thoughts?
On second thought, more details are required...

She did say "go ahead and buy the lift" right?

So, step one, buy whatever lift you want. Then, after it's delivered, tell her that as part of the installation, you need a new shop/addition.

It's her fault for not being specific enough. If she didn't say "go ahead and buy the lift that works under the existing ceiling, on the existing slab" then she knows to be more detailed in the future.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
On second thought, more details are required...

She did say "go ahead and buy the lift" right?

So, step one, buy whatever lift you want. Then, after it's delivered, tell her that as part of the installation, you need a new shop/addition.

It's her fault for not being specific enough. If she didn't say "go ahead and buy the lift that works under the existing ceiling, on the existing slab" then she knows to be more detailed in the future.

We have loose plans for an extension to the shop... she likes the idea of having her own space.

I am lucky I don't need to BS her about anything, ever.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
We have loose plans for an extension to the shop... she likes the idea of having her own space.

I am lucky I don't need to BS her about anything, ever.
Also, push the education aspects... with all the time the girls are starting to spend in the shop, it's an investment in their future. The quicker you get it built, the more benefits they get

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Also, push the education aspects... with all the time the girls are starting to spend in the shop, it's an investment in their future. The quicker you get it built, the more benefits they get

Are you a self-help guru?

If so, I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If you're only getting one lift, then I would go with the two-post, for access, I think. I say I think because I've never had the pleasure of owning or working under a lift. We plan to have a two-post lift in the shop when we build it, hopefully next year. Then, I want at least one portable 4-post lift for stacking cars. Hopefully two of those. There are a lot of cars I want before I die.

Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
professor farnsworth futurama GIF

Seems the Feds have decided to give us the cost of living increase we were due over the last three years.

Not that it wouldn't have helped back then or been invested or something... grumble grumble grumble...

Natasha, sick of hearing me groan in the morning, has green lit me to buy a hoist.

Requirements:
1. Can drive another car under a raised vehicle (no weird half height scissor lifts); and
2. Be ALI certified (our business insurance will demand it).

Limitations:
1. Radiant floor heating (don't what to hit a tube, the floor is reinforced concrete); and
2. Ceiling height (129" clear, limits 2 Post designs).

Nice to haves:
1. Can walk under a lifted car (I am 5'-11");
2. 110v is ideal (220v is available but usually occupied); and
3. Mobility (improves flexibility).

Here are the two options I am looking at.

2 Post:

4 Post:

Thoughts?
i was able to pick up a well used 4 post drive on Rotary lift from a former employer for a song. my ceiling height is 139" and being 6' tall, i can walk under the car but not the ramp portion with a suburban on it. the ramp does get in the way (8" thick) of doing a lot of things such as rear axle replacement, shocks, front suspension work for instance. another con is the foot print it takes up in my shop and makes it difficult to get stuff from one side of the hoist to the other. the pro is it makes a great shelf for all that crap i have and gets it off the floor.
if i were to spend real money on a lift, i would get a two post. most likely an asymmetric style so i can open the doors further for interior work. and when the hoist is up with a car on it there is more usable floor space. you can also lift car bodies off the frame easier using the lift arms of the two post. not possible with a four post.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
We-ell, it appears all my broom pushing was for naught as i proceeded to get things dirty again today. And, just for the thrill of it, added the stink of concentrated lacquer thinner and the toxic fumes of curing fibreglass into the mixture. Thick enough to lay a die hard stoner out for the count! For the concerned this was a very short time exercise. Ran the glass first and then did the last clean up on the S-10 rim to get it to fit right. Checked on the progress of the curing and then Cleaned up me and then got the F*** out for the day. Did put two new sets of pancake filters on the shelf at the local industrial supply for me to pick up on Monday. 3M isn't cheap but way better than dragging around an iron lung.

Nick

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I'm going to finish the other 2 walls of the shop with air drops. I have the two wall done and tied into the current air system. It's in place for trial fitting, got to take it down and dope the threads and put it all back together again. I use black pipe. I will end up with 3 walls with air and 10 air drop QDs. Plenty of air all over. My size is a 1 1/2 size separate garage w/sink, flat screen 32in TV tied to the Wifi of the house and Student fridge! Maybe a coffee brewer and a cot next?

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I am seriously going post in this thread every time I sweep the floor.

This thread should become a great journal of ideas.
Yeah, that is a major undertaking in my shop. I did it just in time for the yearly water and ice flow onto the floor. Thank you Mother Nature and the idiots who built the garage too small and in a hole🙁. My shop very clean, looks worse than Donovan's messy shop. Think of a 1lb bag stuffed full of 50 pounds of sh*t😁

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor