What is the best LS1 Clutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
My 2+2 T56 is going need a clutch at some point in the near future. I'm currently running a Ram 98931 LS1 clutch with my 502. What is currently the best LS1 clutch setup and why?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 user

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I had a LS7 clutch in my C5 Z06 and it made 478rwhp and 448rwtq N/A, it held up great! When I boosted it i went with the Mantic 9000. Also you wanting a single disc or twin disk? And what price range? The Mantic 9000 is an amazing twin disc clutch but its not cheap. Also might check and see is Katech still has the LS9X clutch. Its a great clutch for the money i hear. And i always had good luck with the McLeod, check out the McLeod Street Extreme.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Probably about 525 HP with 580 lbft of torque. Its a ZZ502 with pocket ported heads and minor upgrades.

The higher torque of the big block is the only concerning issue, but that is a good price compared to my current clutch.
Perhaps I remembered the HP rating of the LS7 wrong. I wanted to look up the advertised torque output so I got on the Chevrolet Racing website. It says 505 HP and only 470 ft. lbs. With your engine making 23% more torque, that production clutch might not be a good choice. I wonder what the C6 Vette guys like to replace the stock clutch with? What about an LS9 clutch? It's twin disc so I have no idea if it will fit or work with your flywheel/trans/slave. The LS9 is rated at 604 ft. lbs.

Montague

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2016
Many people overlook ACT. They have street use all the way out to full race applications. I've personally used their 6 puck race clurch on a highly boosted 300z with excellent results. It's my first choice once the new trans goes in. just food for thought.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Perhaps I remembered the HP rating of the LS7 wrong. I wanted to look up the advertised torque output so I got on the Chevrolet Racing website. It says 505 HP and only 470 ft. lbs. With your engine making 23% more torque, that production clutch might not be a good choice. I wonder what the C6 Vette guys like to replace the stock clutch with? What about an LS9 clutch? It's twin disc so I have no idea if it will fit or work with your flywheel/trans/slave. The LS9 is rated at 604 ft. lbs.

I'd also be concerned with the rotating mass in the BBC having an effect on clutch selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor