What is the best method to find TDC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
What is the best method to find TDC? Can I just use the timing marks on the balancer pulleys i.e. set mark to 0 or do i have to put thumb over #1 cylinder, which i really dont want to do?

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
You need a degree wheel and a piston stop to find an accurate TDC. Timing pointers are not always correct. The factory units are usually closer than aftermarket versions.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
I like to pop the valve cover off if I think the gasket is salvageable and just bump the engine until both the intake and exhaust valves are closed on the #1 cylinder. Fairly simple and accurate.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

bishop gp

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2015
Evansville,IN
I always did a little ball of paper in the exhaust port for cylinder 1 and turn it over till it pops out but i think im gonna start using the method above lol edit idk why i said exhaust port i meant plug hole for cylinder one blame it on lack of sleep

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I like to pop the valve cover off if I think the gasket is salvageable and just bump the engine until both the intake and exhaust valves are closed on the #1 cylinder. Fairly simple and accurate.

that method won't work well on a roller cam....the lobes are are not as sharp as they are on a flat cam. I have to rotate my engine 4 times to adjust the valve lash with a roller cam. I use the finger over the spark plug hole the find the TDC and use that just to line up my distributor. If I was lining up my pointer that tool in the Summit video is what I would use

images

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor