what is the best way to STIFFEN a spring without making it taller?

azmusclecar

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Arizona
A pair/set of springs isn't really that expensive. If you are considering going to the trouble of adding a spacer, why not just replace the springs?
I see your point........to open up the control arms and go thru all that I would install new stock height springs.........
I was hoping for a quick inexpensive fix. Thanks for your opinion.

DRIVEN

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
Owyhee County
I wish there was an easy fix too. My car does the same thing when I'm backing out of a driveway with the wheels turned and hit a bump.

azmusclecar

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Arizona
I wish there was an easy fix too. My car does the same thing when I'm backing out of a driveway with the wheels turned and hit a bump.
That's IT EXACTLY..........(y):giggle:

azmusclecar

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Arizona
Moog 5662s are $45 on RA. You have drop spindles already; do it- you will not be disappointed!
I used your part name and number under Rockauto and it did not come up..............
what search data did you use?
I used 1979 Olds Cutlass Calais 5.7 and all I find is rear coils...............not fronts............

azmusclecar

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Arizona
Will my Olds, being a Hurst with the 350 CI in it, need any special coils? With the added weight of the 350? Or won't it make that much difference.
I hate to buy OE springs for non H/Os and then come to find out I need heavy duty springs with the weight and suspension set up on the H/O?
My searches seem to just take me to the 305 V8s.............

I am finding a lot of different part numbers checking Federal Mogul and Moog and I can find 305 V8s WITH A/C but no 350 V8s with A/C.

I have used the recommended part number suggested above at Rock Auto and it does NOT come up......for my application.
Not sure what search criteria others are using but I can't find it using mine.

Last edited:
Macguyver

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
When the G Body with stock suspension geometry on the front, (stock height spindles and ball joints) hits a bump or compresses, the tops of the front tires lean out towards the fender (positive camber curve).
On a modern front end set up (like our G Body kits ) the the tops of the tire will "tuck" in out of the way of the fender (negative camber curve).

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor