what is the best way to STIFFEN a spring without making it taller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Others have mentioned the 5662 and thats what I would recommend as well for a stock type ride height spring with a higher spring rate. Freestanding height they are shorter than g body springs but are much stiffer so they won't compress as much under load. It also makes them easier to install. While I didnt use actual 5662 springs in my Grand Prix I did use an original used set from an 89 GTA (5662 is what the replacement moog spring would be) that had about 80k on the clock. Much shorter than the sagged non f41 v6 springs that I took out but raised the car up probably close to 2 inches, though the orginals from the GP had over 160k on them and a sbc in it instead of the original v6. It was sagged so bad I don't think I could get a floor jack under the engine crossmember.

Well i took a vote with myself and now I am reconsidering your input and I've kept the 5608s in my cart. Now with a fresh set of eyes and a new cuppa joe let me rethink this........yes i want stock ride height and yes less compression............my OE springs may still be close to stock ride height but
their compression rate seems to be very soft maybe from age. I've installed new shocks, sway bar end links and bushings but mayeb the 5662s are what I really need. thanks for your input...................

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Just an FYI, I wrote to Moog and got a reply. You'd think with 2499 Hurst Olds they would have a spring recommendation but as you can read...

My email:
I need front coil springs for my 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais which is a HURST OLDS with a 350 cubic inch engine AND A/C. I use that as my search criteria and I cannot find an exact application for my car. I find 305 V8 but NOT 350 cubic inch. I want the stock ride height spring ONLY not just any spring.

Answer:

Thank you for the inquiry. Sorry, Moog does not catalog a spring for application. Thank you
Moog Chassis Parts - July 19, 2019

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
A 350 and a 305 are not going to weigh a different enough amount to have a discernible different in ride height

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
A 350 and a 305 are not going to weigh a different enough amount to have a discernible different in ride height

Maybe a pound or two, but yeah, basically, they weigh the same.

-Gonz

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Spidereyes gets it. With drop spindles you want a stiffer factory height spring. I've got probably 40k on my setup, and it rides and handles great- much better than stock.

Reactions: 1 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Spidereyes gets it. With drop spindles you want a stiffer factory height spring. I've got probably 40k on my setup, and it rides and handles great- much better than stock.
I agree with you......Spidereyes post makes the most sense and yes THAT is what I am looking for......stock ride height springs but with more spring pressure.
The car won't have as much body roll which is fine with me.....thanks for the second opinion..........5662s is what it is..........

83beater

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2019
I just completed a 2 inch spindle drop on my H/O and sadly I got ahead of myself and purchased tires and wheels BEFORE I did this.
You all know where this is going.

The tire and wheel fit nicely in the wheel well View attachment 118507 .......but when I turn and have any kind of suspension travel on the driver's side front wheel, it
hits the wheel well and wheel molding. The 235 tire I purchased I thought would be okay but the wheel has little to no backspacing so thus
it's outer edge is right there, close to the wheel molding.

I'd like to find an easy way to make the front coils stiffer until I can afford new springs. I can't go back and order different wheels and
tires now. Too much invested so my work around is how do I stiffen the coils without losing my 2 inch drop I just installed.
Use the gabriel load Carrier shocks ..will give u a 1/² to 1' lift

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Use the gabriel load Carrier shocks ..will give u a 1/² to 1' lift
I don't wnat LIFT.............I want STOCK HEIGHT.......with more spring compression pressure...........I just added 2 inch drop spindles, why would I then put a lifting shock in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor