What should I Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
olds307 and 403 said:
Get a 5.3 or 6.0 LS. Unless a decent sbc comes your way for free, why bother? I am sure there are many guys on here who can help with the swap that have done it. You can run an adapter and use your 2004R. Add a shift kit, 700 or 4L60E filter with deep pan and a 10 vane pump, stiffer spring and hardened rings. Your stock stall is decent as is. This is assuming that everything is stock and in good shape. You also have the better 7.625" rear.

I would love to get a LS, but here in Maryland they are hard to find. If someone can on here can get me a LS are point me in the right direction, that would be great. Also sounds like I should be asking you for helping at installing a LS, sounds like you know a lot on it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would stick with your plan of a SBC swap in there since you want heat and AC this would be a simple swap with all your brackets and accessories swapping right over..
A big block would require modifying the AC case which you don't want to do.
Some people have done LS engines on a budget but that is usually based on getting a used engine, accessories, wiring harness etc. at a super low price and if one can't be found at that price the whole thing will quickly skyrocket beyond your budget with the needed parts to complete the swap, plus since you seem to want the option of returning it back to stock at a later date it seems pointless to do an LS swap, typically anyone that goes to the trouble of installing one has no intention of ever putting a standard SBC in there again.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
565bbchevy said:
I would stick with your plan of a SBC swap in there since you want heat and AC this would be a simple swap with all your brackets and accessories swapping right over..
A big block would require modifying the AC case which you don't want to do.
Some people have done LS engines on a budget but that is usually based on getting a used engine, accessories, wiring harness etc. at a super low price and if one can't be found at that price the whole thing will quickly skyrocket beyond your budget with the needed parts to complete the swap, plus since you seem to want the option of returning it back to stock at a later date it seems pointless to do an LS swap, typically anyone that goes to the trouble of installing one has no intention of ever putting a standard SBC in there again.

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense to me. BB and LS is out of the question now. I believe I am going with a 383 stroker now. I just need to choose if I want a local guy ($3,200 to build one of get one from Summit ($?)?

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
I AM DOING THE SAME THING RIGHT NOW, BUT I HAVE AN ACE IN THE HOLE, MY MONTE HAS A 350, SO I AM JUST PULLING IT AND BUILDING HER INTO A 383... NEED INEXPENSIVE PARTS? SKIP WHITE PERFORMANCE HAS SOME OF THE NICEST FOR THE MONEY... I JUST PICKED UP A KILLER BILLET 65K HEI DISTRIBUTOR AND 300+ FERRO WIRES FOR LIKE $70...

Attachments

• CAM01835.jpg
    CAM01835.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 403

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
-83MONTESS- said:
1979Calais said:
I like the color on there now, but the paint has bubbles in it. I only have about $6,000 to put into it right now. I have someone that's talking about giving me an LT1 out of their 95 Camaro, but it still may need to be freshen up. I need to decide on the engine now while it is cold, but first it is going to the body shop to get the t top fixed.

I wanted to type more, but my wife has p'ed me off.
If someone is looking to GIVE you an LT1 I would go that route and spend the money in other areas or save it for your other project. LT1s are decent engines that have bad reputations mainly from people with no experience with them beyond the cliche "I have a friend that has a friend that said they were junk".

305s for the most part suffer a rap too from people with little to no experience beyond popular group opinion. I would take the LT1 if I were the OP.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
thrasher said:
SKIP WHITE PERFORMANCE
unicorn-farts.jpg
I know people that have been running skip white parts for years and couldnt be happier... granted not all of the sh*t from him is good, but when it comes down to the simple sh*t, i wont buy from anywhere else... WHY SPEND 3 TIMES THE MONEY ELSEWHERE... so far everything i have bought has been from skip white, except for the carb and rotating assembly thats from summit

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when a chinese $5 part causes you to loose a race then you will understand why we don't mind spending more money to by made in America parts. Here's a chinese truck lower ball joint that busted on my GP and here's what's left of my tire.

ball%2520joint.jpg

P1010297.JPG

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
Go fast now, look pretty later. Get that driveline in good shape to handle the new HP. IMO, the 3.73 gear ratio coupled with the 2004r transmission is a great combo. Just need to beef it up and get a Posi in the rear end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
-83MONTESS- said:
If someone is looking to GIVE you an LT1 I would go that route and spend the money in other areas or save it for your other project. LT1s are decent engines that have bad reputations mainly from people with no experience with them beyond the cliche "I have a friend that has a friend that said they were junk".

x2 - good running FREE motor . . and far more power than you could ever get out of the 305 - I say grab it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor