What welder for some one just starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

86judge

Greasemonkey
Dec 27, 2012
Indiana
Thanks that helps a lot . I like the idea of starting with the thicker weld. I work in the metal room of a casket factory grinding and finish sanding welds. Occasionaly I patch little pin holes with a little hand fed welder, but every1 there that weld says its not like really welding cause its all about speed not structure. They have the uglyist welds u will ever c. Lol

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
As stated by all, save up and buy quality, you won't regret it. I personally love gas and I can do endless things with it. I also have a cheapola HF stick welder and a very nice Lincoln MIG. Each has it's place for different things, but if I had to choose just one for auto sheet metal repair, it would be the MIG, with the inert gas kit. But my Sears oxy/acetylene rig has been a trusted friend for 30 years and I could not get along without it, so I would say get one of those too. Hell, even the HF POS is handy to repair chain link fences and other grunt work I don't want to waste the MIG on. By the way, my HF unit was made in Italy and wouldn't work at first. I opened it up and found an important wire had not been secured, some kind of shabby quality control. The Lincoln was top shelf, right out of the box.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
My first welder was a Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 flux core wire welder that I also bought the gas conversion kit for. I have had that outfit now for over 10 years and it's worked great. Still not a big fan of MIG for light gauge stuff like body panels but I've managed to get the hang of it.

When I was in college I taught myself how to TIG weld at a summer job I had for a few years. I think this might have been why I had a hard time grasping the MIG welding concept. TIG just seemed so much easier and definitely more precise.

I've since bought a Hobart EZ-TIG 165i and LOVE it! But both the MIG and TIG have their place in a home shop.

I would start off with a MIG from any of the big name brands like Lincoln, Hobart, Miller, etc. and learn with that. It will do most of what you want to do. Then if you find yourself needing something for more intricate welding that will also handle most things a MIG would do, look into a TIG.

Kris_84elky

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2010
Definitely go with a quality machine. I would recommend either the millermatic 180 with auto-set or the millermatic 211 with auto-set. I have used both and own the 211. Great machine and the auto-set feature is good for beginners. The 211 also has a multi volt plug in that lets you run it on regular 120v (for thinner stuff) or you can connect it to 230v and weld up to 3/8". The 180 is a good machine too but doesn't have the MVP. Start off with mig as tig requires more time to learn properly and tig machines cost more.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
i borrowed a 110v mig lincoln and was impressed it was more then enough to work for me! I have the lincoln 180 in mind when i get one soon. definetly run a bottle and pratice! I use lincolns, Millers, Hobarts, etc etc and if set up right they seem to work good. Though i'm not the best :lol: Tig is another animal though... :oops: Eastwood has nice combo's with a plasma cutter that looks like a viable option...

86judge

Greasemonkey
Dec 27, 2012
Indiana
I'm defiantly finding out from what u guys say is that its a tool you can have for a lot of years.that makes it a little easier to spend the money. I have about another month b4 I move in the new house. I'm gonna start saving my pennys. hopefully by spring I ll be buying. I ll let everyone know what I decide. I'm leaning toward a mig setup that you can build on.i usually go overboard when I get into something new. The car will be cool or a pile of pices. Just kidding. .
On a side note this is the first forum I've been a part of. There is a lot more support on these things then I ever imagined. I'll be glad to return the favor if my inputs ever needed

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I found that a good grinder was very useful when I started welding. Welding sure improved my grinding skills.. :oops:

tk76

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2013
Town of Tonawanda,NY
Stick with Lincoln, Miller,Holbart and you will be happy. From there it's about money, and make sure you get a gas setup. If you have a 220 line to the garage I would definitly go that route. Even with a good 110v you can do frame work, you will never lose money on a good mig welder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor