Which flywheel do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I never had to bleed mine except for leaving the cap off the reservoir until the air bubbles stopped...why do you think you have a problem with the slave?

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Damn, really?! I thought I read that on another forum but it just didnt sound right. I filled the reservoir and let some bubbles come up but the slave doesnt move at all. I even put the stock line back on since I thought the SS one I bought had a leak, but had no luck. I was unscrewing that screw on the back of the slave cylinder trying to bleed it and I think it was just permanently leaking or something. I disconnected the line at the master and put my finger on it and it seemed like it was creating pressure... :?:

Did I just not wait long enough for the air bubbles to rise? It wasn't moving at ALL.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd just leave it for a while with the filler cap off and see if that doesn't help. If a slave is gone is usually leaks out where the rod comes out...same thing for the master if the seals are leaking

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
alright that's what i'm doing now, thanks. They are used parts from the guy I bought my transmission from so I wouldn't be at all surprised if both cylinders were bad.

I had to trim down the feed tube on the master to get the reservoir line on there without it kinking, it's still a tight fit.

Also, you may enter your "told-ya-so" comments here because as I started the car there was a loud scraping noise and my first thought was the flywheel. Well...it is the flywheel, it is scraping against the starter housing. :oops:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I didn't say anything about the starter so it won't be me saying I told you so.......have you got the right starter?

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Well moreso about the flywheel...i bought it used supposedly from a 64 el camino. The starter is some generic mini unit from ebay with the inline bolt pattern. I'm going to see if I can take a look at a newer flywheel and notice a difference.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm using a racing gear reduction starter which should be just like the mini starter you have so it should be good. Will the starter engage to turn the engine over?

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Yeah the motor starts fine and everything but the flywheel rubs on the starter while the car is running and you can hear it. I bet I could shave the starter housing a little bit for clearance, but I'm more worried about the clutch hydraulics not working. Once I get that sorted I'll deal with the flywheel.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you shim the starter would that not give it a little more clearance....and don't worry too much about the hydraulics, it's a simple system so you won't have a problem getting it working. I had used parts as well and the master on mine was defective so the slave wouldn't work but it did move the slave a little and there was fluid leaking from the master so that clued me in on what unit was junk

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
I dont think shimming it would push it down far enough, but I'm going to go look at it in a bit. I bought a new slave cylinder today but it's being shipped to the auto store tomorrow. If that doesn't fix it then it has to be the master (or a leak in the line).

I was reading in a chiltons manual for the third gen Camaro and couldn't find anything about bleeding the clutch, so maybe you are right and it isn't necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor