Why I hate vinyl roofs (Or, is it too late to get my tetanus shot?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not an unfamiliar sight for many of us, but I thought I'd share my findings with you all via pics so you see what I saw as I went along.

WARNING: Graphic content, unsuitable for viewers unfamiliar with the effects of prolonged oxidation.

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED.

Didn't look too bad at first to the untrained eye, but all the warning signs were there, and I know better. Rust is like an iceberg: the stuff that's visible is just the tip. The majority is lurking below...

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

With the driver's side lower moulding removed...
IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

Continued >>>

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wide moulding across the top of the roof removed:
IMG_2510.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

Vinyl coming off:
IMG_2514.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

Continued >>>

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
:puke:
Always a bummer to see. The sooner you get it off, the more metal you can save. Even if it's already "too late" you can try to salvage the best base to work from that you can. My dad has a '71 Sprint with the same problem. He's been letting it go. It's just getting closer and closer to being a one-time-use metallic convertible.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
That is exactly why my Cutlass is no longer a Supreme, and why I hate vinyl tops on everything.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I got lucky when I removed my Monte's half vinyl it was apparently done at an aftermarket installer once I got the glue off the paint was perfect and it had the stand offs to install the clips for the rear molding.
When I joined here I started seeing factory installed vinyls and the lack of prep and that is why I bought a hardtop Regal for my project car.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
After a bit of wire brushing by hand, and a cleanup of the major debris. This is the extent of the damage:

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

This is neither shocking nor unexpected for me. I pretty much knew it was going to be this bad underneath. There will still be a bit more to be found once the quarter glass and mouldings come off.

For those of you that know me and are familiar with my work on The Juggernaut, you already know the necessary repairs are not outside my scope of skills. As bad as it appears, I'm not convinced a complete roof removal and replacement is necessary. I'll just take my time, and concentrate on fixing one section at a time.

The next step will be to completely gut the interior, drop the headliner, and remove the quarter windows and mouldings. This will allow me to get down to business.
Guess it's time to stock up on cutting wheels and welding gas...
:(

Progress on the repairs will be covered in my build thread, Project Olds Cool. Thanks for suffering along with me and my nasty discovery.

Donovan

• Optimistic
Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I got lucky when I removed my Monte's half vinyl it was apparently done at an aftermarket installer once I got the glue off the paint was perfect and it had the stand offs to install the clips for the rear molding.
When I joined here I started seeing factory installed vinyls and the lack of prep and that is why I bought a hardtop Regal for my project car.

You're definitely one of the lucky ones with your Monte, 565. I was too fortunately enough with the roof on The Juggernaut. Yep, it was originally a vinyl roof car too. I guess I caught that one in time.

I only bought this one a couple years ago, and could tell the damage had already been done by that time. The price was right however, so I couldn't pass it up. The roof on this one was definitely a factory one, and not done aftermarket. 37 years of neglect and abuse will do this to a car, no matter what. I would've preferred to find to find a hardtop car to start with, but they're not as common around here on Oldsmobiles.

No worries, I'll get it repaired, and fixed up better than new in no time.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Oh the humanity, find the guy who thought vinyl tops were a good thing, string him up & quater him. :soapbox:

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oh the humanity, find the guy who thought vinyl tops were a good thing, string him up & quater him. :soapbox:

Thanks for sympathizing with me Pagrunt. Couldn't agree more!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My old '72 Monte was a factory vinyl top car, it caused the all sort of rot in the rear window/shelf area, ate the trunk. Only good thing it gave me pratice with making patch panels. I never understood why the put the glass in on the extra roof material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor