1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan LS Turbo Build

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
No wiggle on shift, or launch. Figured it was severely hurt and I was loosing power through the trans.

For whatever reason, with the relay I tried using the second pump would stay on the entire time the key was turned to ignition. Will re-visit today.
I’ll point out something that fubar’d me for a couple of minutes. The Holley wire designated for the fuel pump is 12v+ switched, but all of the outputs are ground (12v-) switched. The reason being, I believe, is that the Holley designated fuel pump wire can carry 10-20 amps meaning it can actually run a pump, not just a relay.

If you wired your second pump in the same manner it will run all the time. Duke sent me one of your tunes, I’ll take a look and see how it’s set.

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Your shifts were way quicker than mine lol. But I’m shifting at another 8-10psi (125-200 more hp).

You’re close to getting it to wiggle. I can’t wait til spring lol. You’ll see what I mean I’m sure though before then. It makes my eyes look like golf balls :) :).

Reactions: 3 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
I’ll point out something that fubar’d me for a couple of minutes. The Holley wire designated for the fuel pump is 12v+ switched, but all of the outputs are ground (12v-) switched. The reason being, I believe, is that the Holley designated fuel pump wire can carry 10-20 amps meaning it can actually run a pump, not just a relay.

If you wired your second pump in the same manner it will run all the time. Duke sent me one of your tunes, I’ll take a look and see how it’s set.

So how do I need to wire the second relay (exact same SSR) for the second pump to come on only when the Holley output commands it to?

Reactions: 1 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
Your shifts were way quicker than mine lol. But I’m shifting at another 8-10psi (125-200 more hp).

You’re close to getting it to wiggle. I can’t wait til spring lol. You’ll see what I mean I’m sure though before then. It makes my eyes look like golf balls :) :).

I am almost done removing the hurt trans and will swap in the built one today! I should have it back on the road this weekend!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So how do I need to wire the second relay (exact same SSR) for the second pump to come on only when the Holley output commands it to?

If you're using an Solid State Relay, then :
pin 1 to pump 12v+ ,
pin 2 from 30-40amp fused 12v+ source,
pin 3 12v+ from pin 1 with 1-3 amp fuse,
pin 4 ECU switched ground 9 (Term X wires B3, B10, B11, or B12 - they all are gray with various color stripes.

FWIW, you don't need a solid state relay unless you plan to drive the pump via pulse width modulation (PWM). That is usually something that is used when you have a big *ss pump that is designed for PWM - most of the Magnafuel or Aeromotive pumps are designed for that. You could easily get by with a standard 30 to 40 amp 4 or 5 pin relay for each that turns the pumps on and off (it's what I'm using for twin AEM 380's).

I am using a SSR for my meth injection pump so that I can turn it up as the boost level increases via PWM. The meth pump (Snow Performance) is designed for PWM as well.

How do you have it wired presently? Or how did you have it wired when it wasn't working correctly?

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
pin 1 to pump 12v+ ,
pin 4 ECU switched ground 9 (Term X wires B3, B10, B11, or B12 - they all are gray with various color stripes.

FWIW, you don't need a solid state relay unless you plan to drive the pump via pulse width modulation (PWM). That is usually something that is used when you have a big *ss pump that is designed for PWM - most of the Magnafuel or Aeromotive pumps are designed for that. You could easily get by with a standard 30 to 40 amp 4 or 5 pin relay for each that turns the pumps on and off (it's what I'm using for twin AEM 380's).

I am using a SSR for my meth injection pump so that I can turn it up as the boost level increases via PWM. The meth pump (Snow Performance) is designed for PWM as well.

How do you have it wired presently? Or how did you have it wired when it wasn't working correctly?
WTF, is a solid state relay? A standard 5 pin Bosch style works fine. 85 and 86 are the coil/switch. Use one, then make the polarity of the other one opposite of whatever you used. Terminals 30 and 87 are normally open, and 87 and 87a are normally closed. You can do damned near anything you want with a 5 pin relay. Learn how they work and the possibilities are endless, unless you need a timer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Solid State Relay - no moving parts to wear out from being turned on and off 50 times in a second. A standard coil driven relay can't take that. Chris's ECU can run the pumps via PWM. It offers some extra control over runaway fuel pressure and fuel temperatures.

That's the reason for using them - I mentioned that I use one a Meth pump - that's the same way the Snow Perf controller controls the pump. They work and they are reliable, but they aren't available at every local parts store - that's my reason for using them only when needed.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Solid State Relay - no moving parts to wear out from being turned on and off 50 times in a second. A standard coil driven relay can't take that. Chris's ECU can run the pumps via PWM. It offers some extra control over runaway fuel pressure and fuel temperatures.

That's the reason for using them - I mentioned that I use one a Meth pump - that's the same way the Snow Perf controller controls the pump. They work and they are reliable, but they aren't available at every local parts store - that's my reason for using them only when needed.
Well, PWM adds a whole 'nother layer! Can you get those easily? Never messed with one....

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Well, PWM adds a whole 'nother layer! Can you get those easily? Never messed with one....
Amazon - less than $15. I took my usual approach to non-local parts - if I need one, then I buy 2 lol. I would recommend the same mentality to Chris as well.

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
pin 1 to pump 12v+ ,

Here is the current set up:
A2619DC7-5E75-476C-936A-CAF4EBF2BC14.jpeg
Relay with green trigger is the main fuel pump. One underneath with yellow trigger is the Holley output controlled one.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor