1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan LS Turbo Build

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
I did not change the lines or the rails with the new engine. I didn't have any suspicion of them.

Here is the filter (from e85 freaks):
1623354885480.png

Reactions: 1 user

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
Pulled the fuel hat off this weekend:
358AFD69-85A5-4EB1-9116-458F117F029B.jpeg

Found the fuel level float was stuck (fixed that).

Guess I didn’t get ALL the metal chunks out when I flushed the tank:
314959B4-67DE-4B3D-A188-3ADC658AC5A5.jpeg
BA2ACEC0-2A4A-4D09-B9CB-3306C597661B.jpeg

New filters will be here Tuesday. I will keep the ethanol content closer to e50 going forward, which will force me to put more 93 in the tank and hopefully prevent the injectors gumming again.

Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have to say - those particles in your injectors MIGHT be larger than 10 micron. I believe I’d be rethinking that filter or contacting E85 freaks and giving them some sh*t.

Ive never cleaned out the tank after welding. I use an external 60 micron pre pump filter and I’m yet to find anything in the secondary filter on two different builds.

Any chance those lines were laying around during a Sahara sandstorm with the ends open?

;).

Man get this going - when will the injectors be back?

Reactions: 4 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
I'm thinking that crap in the injectors came from the fuel rail itself. Its the stock junkyard fuel rail. I didn't specifically clean it out before using it.

Injectors are back!! Going to put the fatter ones in cylinders 7 and 8.
IMG_3444_LI.jpg

Put new filters on the pumps:
IMG_3448.jpg IMG_3449.jpg

Put it all back together, and the pumps don't work!! :mad:

Turn the key on, get power to the relay in the trunk. Even jumped the pumps right from the battery and nothing.

Not sure if they seized from sitting out of the fuel for a week? Maybe the filters are air locked??

This thing is p*ssing me offffffffffffff

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Try pulling the pump set out and tapping on the pump with a hammer. Sometimes they will stick after being left open in the air.

The gunk very well could have come from the fuel rail. Does FL have 5 or 10% ethanol in their fuel from the state? I have been told that because straight gas is very 'mild' the gunk that normally accumulates is cleaned out when you switch to ethanol because it is an alcohol and cleans out the goo. Ethanol doesn't degrade stuff as bad as people like to claim, but it exposes problems that otherwise would not be exposed on a pure gas car.

Food for thought.

Reactions: 4 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
Try pulling the pump set out and tapping on the pump with a hammer. Sometimes they will stick after being left open in the air.

The gunk very well could have come from the fuel rail. Does FL have 5 or 10% ethanol in their fuel from the state? I have been told that because straight gas is very 'mild' the gunk that normally accumulates is cleaned out when you switch to ethanol because it is an alcohol and cleans out the goo. Ethanol doesn't degrade stuff as bad as people like to claim, but it exposes problems that otherwise would not be exposed on a pure gas car.

Food for thought.
I’ll pull them out this weekend and give them a tap 🙄.

FL has 10% ethanol content in pump gas. The car has mostly seen e50-e80 since I’ve put it together. I’m going to do better about flushing more with 93 to hopefully prevent issues like this in the future.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I’ll pull them out this weekend and give them a tap 🙄.

FL has 10% ethanol content in pump gas. The car has mostly seen e50-e80 since I’ve put it together. I’m going to do better about flushing more with 93 to hopefully prevent issues like this in the future.

Grab a 20V cordless battery and jump them directly. If they don't move, they toast. But, both at the exact same time seems highly suspect.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
Grab a 20V cordless battery and jump them directly. If they don't move, they toast. But, both at the exact same time seems highly suspect.

Good call! I have an 18V Ryobi but that should still do the trick!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Hope it works out. Be sure to make sure both are running before you put the wood to it. Take no chances - ‘no more junkyard motor for you’ says the pump Nazi!! Bad pump means bad day for your built short block.

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor