200-4R rebuild diy

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I almost positive in going to do it. I'll do it over the winter if I do since I won't be under any time constraints.

I would be good if you and Jack did them at the same time so you could maybe help out each other if you get stuck or let the other know some tips...

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
It's really not that hard. I rebuilt my original TH400 and then helped my buddy with his 200-4R the next week. It is a different world once you open it up but just like anything go slow and pay attention. Get on ebay and get yourself a shop manual for it and you will have no issues. Keep track of which way certain parts go and compare them to your new parts in case you get some wrong parts like I did.

I like to rebuild each drum as I take them apart instead of ripping everything apart. Some people take the trans all the way apart first. Maybe thats where they go wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
That's not a bad idea. I'll also have to see what my financial situation is at the time. I know this project has been on the backburner for quite a few years, and collaborating on a build is a win-win situation.
I'm still recovering from my a/c installation endeavor...no regrets there, however.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
It's really not that hard. I rebuilt my original TH400 and then helped my buddy with his 200-4R the next week. It is a different world once you open it up but just like anything go slow and pay attention. Get on ebay and get yourself a shop manual for it and you will have no issues. Keep track of which way certain parts go and compare them to your new parts in case you get some wrong parts like I did.

I like to rebuild each drum as I take them apart instead of ripping everything apart. Some people take the trans all the way apart first. Maybe thats where they go wrong.

That's a good idea to build piece at a time so you're not all over the place.

Did you guys build a stock or performance? What kit did you use?
Steve,
That's not a bad idea. I'll also have to see what my financial situation is at the time. I know this project has been on the backburner for quite a few years, and collaborating on a build is a win-win situation.
I'm still recovering from my a/c installation endeavor...no regrets there, however.

I am putting some funds aside for it so I can keep you posted.

I would be good if you and Jack did them at the same time so you could maybe help out each other if you get stuck or let the other know some tips...

This is a good idea.

What kits have people used?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Pasikiainen rebuilt his 200-4R in a garage in Finland. And he had to weld the tailhousing where it cracked. I bet you can do it with the right guide and some of the specific tools. And space and time to solve the problems as they come up.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
We did a basic rebuild with a shift kit I believe. It's been 3 years so I could be wrong. Either way it was simple. Just go slow and pay attention!

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Has anyone done it? would you do it again or have it done? I have done a lot of research on hard parts needed and what parts would be necessary for my needs but with everything you always learn something new.

I have an 1987 cz-f trans and debating whether to do it myself. I know there are tons of reputable builders but looking for opinions and tips on folks who have done it themselves before.

I was looking at this kit http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/AHP36001R-K-BOX-1.html

and this one from monster which has a few less things. http://www.monstertransmission.com/...Complete-Rebuild-Kit_p_5059.html#.VgMUq99VhHw

I would appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Joe

Why yes, yes I did overhaul a 2004r.
Link to my Thread.

http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=3729.0

Happy to field questions.

David Husek was mentioned. He is definitely a GURU. I always recommend him. He can set you up with parts, or a full kit for the level of performance. I too was and still am on a budget. I kind of pieced together parts I thought would work and bought as I had the money. Message me if you want a more in depth view of what I did.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Rich,
Thank you for being receptive to our questioning. You're going to be sorry you offered...;)
Just kidding, of course. I appreciate your offer.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I will actually have a list of questions, seriously lol.

Where did you get the reverse tool?

Is there anything you would have done differently or something you found would have been easier to do if you do it again?

I'll have more questions lol.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
I am unbelievably happy with how it turned out. If i would have had a larger budget I would have done a billet shaft forward drum and dual fed the directs. I think it is fine for now as I'm not putting too much power to it. Once I am able to hit the track it could become needed but for my street cruising and such it shifts better than any of the nine(yes 9) the dealers (yes three different dealers)) built under warranty.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor