4DR Sleeper G-Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010
A few stories from the past, when I was only running 7.8# of boost on a S-trim, same 383:

2006: First was on the highway. I saw this medium-dark, metallic red Vette approaching in the fast lane. It gets next to me and I give it a little rumbley rev. Two young guys, like 21, 22. Looks like the B&B exhaust system on it. The passenger smirks at me, cuz my car is primer and dirty and doesn't look like much. We have to clear some traffic to have any kind of a run.

A couple miles later, we finally hit a 1/2 mile stretch with no traffic in our lanes. I manually downshift my auto and he can hear it and goes. Immediately started pulling him solid, then back off as we approach traffic. Next time I let the transmission downshift by itself, and the Vortech gets on the boost faster and really yanks him hard - maybe 3 cars by 100-110. He drops way back, but my exit is coming up so he catches up and the driver gives a little thumbs up. The passenger won't look at me, but he's not smirking anymore. Good thing it ended there, because I was still having problems with my fuel cell (pickup was clocked UPWARDS - had to go in and take off the top plate and fix it, with 5 gallons of gas in it!) and it started sputtering until I got some more gas and made it home.

2005: I took the sleeper 4DR out yesterday after a little checkover. I've been busy tuning the new 72# injectors slowly over the last couple months - slowly mostly due to rain rain rain.

Anyway, got out on 280 North and did a couple short pulls to datalog. I've been trying to pull some more MPG out of her during cruise, playing with AFRs around 15.5. All of a sudden this M3 comes tearing up in the hi-speed lane, and a silver S55 barrels up in the lo speed lane (4 lanes here). We hit traffic, with a couple idiot Tahoes in the hi-speed lane doing like 68mph. I'm just watching these 2 German cars so far - they don't know I'm a player yet. Nice thing was the S55 was driven by a beautiful blonde, maybe 30. M3 has the stylish dude and his girlfriend in designer glasses. It still had paper plates on it, but it had an exhaust and a Dinan logo on it, so it wasn't bone stock. Steve Dinan puts out some hefty cars and mods. Sounded nice. Had the big 19" rims on it.

We finally clear traffic and the M3 and S55 go again in lanes 1 & 3. I tuck in behind the M3 and wait for a break in either lane 2 or 4. Finally I clear the last Tahoe and pickup, and roll hard on it to catch them. The M3 is pulling the S55 pretty good - like 4 cars at 120. I swing out into the hi-speed lane and hammer it and walk by the M3 in 3rd, then it shifts to 4th and I keep the pedal down and just walk him to maybe 140. More traffic. The S55 gives up and slows down.

The M3 seems to think I did a ricer or something because he wants a direct lineup and pull. We go another mile, mellow cruise through traffic, I'm ahead, then a BIG clear spot (maybe a mile) and I slow down to maybe 55 - he and girlfriend pull up and give thumbs up, then he jumps. I was ready, let the 4L80E downshift and just passed and ran by him and 3 buslengths, shift to 4th, I see his nose drop as he lets off, I'm around 145, he's maybe 130 and I'm like 8 buslengths in front. He flashes his lights, I give them a wave and get off to turn around at Woodside.

Fun but not a real challenge. There's a Viper around with a Roe Racing blower (Eaton) and nitrous. I think I can take him from a roll with the blower only - he'd kill me from a dig with his 335 sticky Kumhos and he'd kill me from a roll with the nitrous on. That is until I hook mine up, then it might be a contest! Up until maybe 140 or so then his aerodynamics would help squash my barndoor like a bug.

A couple days later, I'm on the Xpressway, and a new Vette convertible pulls up and yells "Oh, you're a bad boy, I can tell you have something in there..." in sort of a teasing tone, but friendly. He's got the top down and some tunes on. He had an aftermarket exhaust but I didn't recognize it. 4 big oval, chrome tips and a nice sound.

We also had traffic for like 3 miles. Finally the Xway opens to 4 lanes each way and we had a 1/2 mile stretch, from like 35. As soon as I checked the cross street for THE MAN, we punched it and mine downshifted to 2nd, chirped and hooked and pulled him about 2 cars easy before we had to shut down for a red light. He pulled up and said "Man, I knew you had something but I didn't think you'd walk me like that!" I told him he had a beautiful car (it was like a Royal Blue), and that I was out tuning with the laptop. He said maybe we'd run into each other again. I gave him the thumbs up and made my U-turn for a datalog run and went home.

I'm waiting to run across the new Z06, but now my car has new 75# injectors and I'm on about tune revision number 50, and it's running great. And I haven't even hooked up either stage of nitrous yet!

--------------------------------

Interior is stock except for 2 gauges next to the radio, and a laptop I use to tune the transmission, engine, wideband and nitrous controllers (i usually drive with it put away. All the wiring is up behind the glovebox:

4dr_main_electronics_wiring1.jpg

After I buttoned it up (glovebox works like normal):
4dr_hidden_main_electronics_wiring.jpg

The kick panel from where the OEM computer was is missing in that picture - that's my J&S knock controller there now and the kick panel is back in place. Radio is buttoned back up too.

Jim

bawazir

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2010
4dr_front_fixed2.jpg

Dude i am in love with those rims! THose freaking tires look bad *ss !
can you please sell me your wheels ??
can you at least tell me where did u get them from ?

85Frankencar

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2010
Indy
I have to admit, it doesn't look like much of a sleeper, but awesome build - that thing is bad....props to you for a killer car!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
talking about mustangs they are geared to run lite to lite...on the highway they run out of gear pretty quick...and if you guys really want to shock them it's a blast on the highway when they come up beside you and you can pop the clutch and slap it back into 3rd from 5th and say bu bye...a stick and 3:08's on the highway is lots of fun.

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010
bawazir said:
can you at least tell me where did u get the [wheels] from?

They are Wheel Vintique's aluminum "Billet 90's" that I had hard anodized to look like steel. Fronts are 17x8", rears are 17x9.5". Tires are BFG KD (killer dry) in 245/40/17 front and 275/40/17 rear. Now the car has MT ET Drag radials in the rear, same size, since I had :shock: traction issues.

Jim

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
DeltaT said:
They are Wheel Vintique's aluminum "Billet 90's" that I had hard anodized to look like steel.

Wow that's cool. I totally thought they were steel.

bawazir

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2010
Ones again Jim, I love those wheels, if you ever try to sell please offer them to me buddy,

they seem to be pricey for 17in brand new :(, but for now i stick with grand national wheels :(

DeltaT

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2010
I just finished modifying the Dart Little M block for piston oil squirters, using a kit from Bo Laws Performance. It comes with 2 fixtures - 1 for cyl. 1-7 and another for cyl. 8. The fixtures are to exactly position the drillshaft relative to each main. Each fixture has a tool steel insert where the drillbit goes so that it doesn't chew up the aluminum part of the fixture. It also comes with a long drill bit (shown inserted into the fixture here), a drill tap to start the threads and a tap to complete them. After all that you carefully insert the jets into each hole. I had to modify the jets with a thin cutting wheel to create a slot in the end so I could use a little screwdriver to screw them in.

new421_pistonoilerfixtureinplace_mini.jpg

Here's the drill bit inserted through the hole I just drilled - gives you an idea where the oil jet will be pointed:

pistonoilspray001_mini.jpg

After all the holes are drilled, you mark the block with a Sharpie to show where you will use a cutting wheel to cut a shallow trench connecting the main oil feed to the oil jet feed hole:

pistonoilspray014_mini.jpg

Here's the trench cut on cyl. 1:

pistonoilspraycyl1cut_mini.jpg

Here's the drill tap, tap and 8 jets:

pistonoilspraytools_n_jets_mini.jpg

And finally, after a thorough final wash of the block, I installed the jets. Here's one bank with all its jets installed:

pistonoilsquirters008cropped.jpg

The oil squirters need a little more oil volume and rob you of a couple psi in oil pressure, so I spec'd a Melling large-pickup pump with 10% greater volume than stock.

Now I can start assembling the shortblock.

Jim

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
You should get into the engine building business. I would love to have something that you built.

:respect:

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
damn. thats big balls. I dont think id be able to take a grinder to my mains. :shock:

Looks awesome though man!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor