605 Steer'n Box Gave 78K Everyone opts for a Heavier unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I know '83 had the O-ring hoses, but you can swap the entire hose assembly from one pump to another by swapping the big nut on back of the pump. And since the pitman arm is not considered a "wear part", no one makes it anymore. Junkyard or epay or craigslist or swap meet.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
I'm trying to see what he'll let it go for.... & if he has the correct pitman (if he knows)

Guess I'm reminiscing on how nice that steering felt in my 79 WS6 T/A

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
That will work, but I think the F-body pitman arm is slightly longer. I'm sure someone on the site will chime in if it can be used on a G-body.

You could try car-part.com to search if there's anything local to you. http://car-part.com/

I used a box out of a third iroc-z camaro. The gbody 800 arm must be used. The camaro one is longer.

Edit: you have to use the hoses with the o ring and also you have to change the fitting in the back of the pump to an o ring type one if you have a flare type one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I know '83 had the O-ring hoses, but you can swap the entire hose assembly from one pump to another by swapping the big nut on back of the pump. And since the pitman arm is not considered a "wear part", no one makes it anymore. Junkyard or epay or craigslist or swap meet.
Mark,
You're right about unbolting the big nut that holds the p/s valve. I recently had to do that on mine. I was trying to remove the brass insert using a tap and I broke the f%#@ tap in it. Fortunately, I was able to knock it out when I removed the big nut.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
  • I hear ya Jack, I struggled too until I realized the whole damn fitting had to be swapped. The box on my '83 car right now is a three bolt unit. Looking at it in the installed position from the side, there are two on the bottom, and one on top forward of the pitman shaft.That epay unit is the same.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Mark, nearly all the boxes mount with those 3 bolts. I have a Chrysler box on my car and it mounts that way. Even the pitman shaft was the same as the 800 box. If you have any issues with the fittings you can always use adapters and braided lines. The pressure fittings for braided lines will take the pressure of the high pressure side

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Steve, you are correct about the three bolt mounting, I can't recall any model needing the fourth bolt hole but I'm sure there must be some out there. I also recall that the splined input shaft diameter changed at some point but I can't remember what year, may have even been back in '70 when the box moved from behind the axle to in front of the axle. I ended up disassembling two rag joints and building an adapter from them.

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
This one should just need hose matching if it comes with the pitman?
1987 Steering Rack/Box
Chevy Monte Carlo SS,8-14

He's checking to confirm if comes with the pitman~ 30 mile drive $50 off car-parts.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor