• Turbo 350

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

84Monte305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2017
That's good then. Just take it one step at a time. Plenty of knowledge on here, and certainly many more people on here more knowledgeable than me. If you want a torque low strung motor, that converter won't really help your cause. BUT, it'd be a good candidate for a mild 350 chevy.
That would be bad if I was looking for a torquey engine? What stall would you recommend for my use? I picked it because of the cam, I figured I needed a different stall for it

84Monte305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2017
That's good then. Just take it one step at a time. Plenty of knowledge on here, and certainly many more people on here more knowledgeable than me. If you want a torque low strung motor, that converter won't really help your cause. BUT, it'd be a good candidate for a mild 350 chevy.
Oh, I picked it for the cam I have picked out. I figured I needed it for the cam. What stall would you recommend? But yeah, I'm looking for lots of low end torque

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That would be bad if I was looking for a torquey engine? What stall would you recommend for my use? I picked it because of the cam, I figured I needed a different stall for it
Stock 305s run out of breath at around 4,000rpm just by design. They never intended the 305 to be a "high performance engine". It was economy first, power second. With that cam, the power range is from idle to 4500. That is basically an RV cam that would be much more at home in a truck, or a bone stock vehicle with the stock low stall converter to really take advantage of the engines really grunty nature. I'd go with no more than a 2,000 stall, maybe closer to 1500 if you're after low end grunt as much as you say you are.

84Monte305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2017
Stock 305s run out of breath at around 4,000rpm just by design. They never intended the 305 to be a "high performance engine". It was economy first, power second. With that cam, the power range is from idle to 4500. That is basically an RV cam that would be much more at home in a truck, or a bone stock vehicle with the stock low stall converter to really take advantage of the engines really grunty nature. I'd go with no more than a 2,000 stall, maybe closer to 1500 if you're after low end grunt as much as you say you are.
Oh I see. Your providing me with a lot of useful information, thanks. So are you saying I should go with a different cam? If so, is there one you would recommend?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Oh I see. Your providing me with a lot of useful information, thanks. So are you saying I should go with a different cam? If so, is there one you would recommend?
A cam really won't help in your case. It's literally the way the 305 is designed on the inside. It's just not meant to be revved, to be beat on to be upgraded. It's not that it's impossible, millions of people have hopped up 305s and been perfectly fine. All the normal hotrod tricks work like cams, headers, aluminum cylinder heads, etc. But when it all comes down to it, they just can't make as much power as a 350. You build a 350 and a 305 with exactly the same parts, the 350 will make more power. The extra 45 cubes add to that too. If you already have the torque converter bought, pick a cam that will accentuate the converter and the torque curve of the engine. I have a little program on my computer that I'm gonna plug in some specs for ya. Gimmie about 10 minutes.

84Monte305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2017
A cam really won't help in your case. It's literally the way the 305 is designed on the inside. It's just not meant to be revved, to be beat on to be upgraded. It's not that it's impossible, millions of people have hopped up 305s and been perfectly fine. All the normal hotrod tricks work like cams, headers, aluminum cylinder heads, etc. But when it all comes down to it, they just can't make as much power as a 350. You build a 350 and a 305 with exactly the same parts, the 350 will make more power. The extra 45 cubes add to that too. If you already have the torque converter bought, pick a cam that will accentuate the converter and the torque curve of the engine. I have a little program on my computer that I'm gonna plug in some specs for ya. Gimmie about 10 minutes.
Ok, but idk if you read my first post so I'll list what I planned on doing. Cam, headers, performer intake, 4 barrel Holley 600cfm carb, and noisy timing gears or double roller timing chain. With these upgrades, I will still gain some power tho right?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Ok, but idk if you read my first post so I'll list what I planned on doing. Cam, headers, performer intake, 4 barrel Holley 600cfm carb, and noisy timing gears or double roller timing chain. With these upgrades, I will still gain some power tho right?
Yes, it will definitely have power gains, and yes I read the first post. And good on you for choosing the 600cfm. All too often I see Billy Jo Bob slap the biggest carb they can (always an Edelbrock...) and it runs like *ss. What headers did you plan on running? Will you have a full exhaust? Do you have to conform to emissions laws? Or just a sniffer tailpipe test? Go with a double roller. No reason to have that gear whine, unless you really want to.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also, what year is your engine? Is it an 84 as well?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Also are you using stock iron heads, or vortec heads? Or aluminum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor