• Turbo 350

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

84Monte305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2017
Yes, it will definitely have power gains, and yes I read the first post. And good on you for choosing the 600cfm. All too often I see Billy Jo Bob slap the biggest carb they can (always an Edelbrock...) and it runs like *ss. What headers did you plan on running? Will you have a full exhaust? Do you have to conform to emissions laws? Or just a sniffer tailpipe test? Go with a double roller. No reason to have that gear whine, unless you really want to.
Lol, I picked that carb because I have one already, and yeah I know! Everyone wants to put a huge carb on their engine and it just kills their power. But I planned on flowtech 11104FLT headers. I will probably run pipe to mufflers, then pipe the rest of the way back to chrome tips. No, no emission stuff. I like the gear whine but I also like the motor sound, so yeah most likey double roller

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The program I have on my computer is called camquest. It's made by comp to show off their camshafts. It's more or less accurate, but don't take em as gospel. With the specs of your 305 in there and what you want to do to it, it should have around these power numbers:
305.JPG

If it's hard to see, it's 279hp at 4500 and 347ftlb at 3,000. The cam I chose in there is what the summit cam is based off of, the comp 252H cam, which is their basic RV type cam. As you can see it recommends a 1300 to 2300 stall converter with a 3400lb car (further stats on the left blue column can't be shown at the same time). It'd be a perfectly fine engine for a daily driver with some grunt. It won't be a street demon, but it'll do some good smokey burnouts and get you from A-B. This was with stock heads and valve size, as well as a .030 overbore and 9.5:1, assuming it actually is an "HO" motor. Valve size may be incorrect, as I do not know the valve size for the HO motor, if it is different. I used the normal 305 sizes. Changing the intake to the standard aftermarket size of 1.94 netted 10hp and 5ftlbs. Again, this is just what it should make on "paper". I did put in the specs of my 350 Buick, and given my car's 1/4 time of 15.0, at 90, I estimated it had around 250-270hp. I put in my specs and it said 246hp at 4500rpm. Accurate enough for me.

84Monte305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2017
The program I have on my computer is called camquest. It's made by comp to show off their camshafts. It's more or less accurate, but don't take em as gospel. With the specs of your 305 in there and what you want to do to it, it should have around these power numbers: View attachment 72293
If it's hard to see, it's 279hp at 4500 and 347ftlb at 3,000. The cam I chose in there is what the summit cam is based off of, the comp 252H cam, which is their basic RV type cam. As you can see it recommends a 1300 to 2300 stall converter with a 3400lb car (further stats on the left blue column can't be shown at the same time). It'd be a perfectly fine engine for a daily driver with some grunt. It won't be a street demon, but it'll do some good smokey burnouts and get you from A-B. This was with stock heads and valve size, as well as a .030 overbore and 9.5:1, assuming it actually is an "HO" motor. Valve size may be incorrect, as I do not know the valve size for the HO motor, if it is different. I used the normal 305 sizes. Changing the intake to the standard aftermarket size of 1.94 netted 10hp and 5ftlbs. Again, this is just what it should make on "paper". I did put in the specs of my 350 Buick, and given my car's 1/4 time of 15.0, at 90, I estimated it had around 250-270hp. I put in my specs and it said 246hp at 4500rpm. Accurate enough for me.
Wow! That's plenty enough power. 347 torque would probably be enough to put up a good race between most cars I would think. So I'll look for a smaller stall rating. So what your saying is that cam would be ok for my engine? I was originally going to use a sbc 267 because I have one but I've found the 305. The 305 and 700r4 trans is $200. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Would you think my stock stall would be ok then or should I still look for one?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Wow! That's plenty enough power. 347 torque would probably be enough to put up a good race between most cars I would think. So I'll look for a smaller stall rating. So what your saying is that cam would be ok for my engine? I was originally going to use a sbc 267 because I have one but I've found the 305. The 305 and 700r4 trans is $200. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Would you think my stock stall would be ok then or should I still look for one?
There were actually 5 different stall converters used in 700r4s, ranging from 1200rpm at the low end to 2,000rpm on the high end. There's a little tag on the converter, that tells you which (this site has more info https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/280410-stock-torque-converter-info.html), so I'd wait to go parts shopping so you can see what you have to work with first. Hell, that 305 might be pretty peppy already, or could be a worn out turd. You'll never know until you dig into it.

84Monte305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2017
There were actually 5 different stall converters used in 700r4s, ranging from 1200rpm at the low end to 2,000rpm on the high end. There's a little tag on the converter, that tells you which (this site has more info https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/280410-stock-torque-converter-info.html), so I'd wait to go parts shopping so you can see what you have to work with first. Hell, that 305 might be pretty peppy already, or could be a worn out turd. You'll never know until you dig into it.
Ok. Yes, I wasnt going to purchase anything yet. The 305 is a 4 barrel already, came with the 4 barrel stock. I'm assuming it was quadrajet. The guy took the carb tho so it just has a intake on it now tho. Do you think that's a good price, $200 for the engine and trans?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Ok. Yes, I wasnt going to purchase anything yet. The 305 is a 4 barrel already, came with the 4 barrel stock. I'm assuming it was quadrajet. The guy took the carb tho so it just has a intake on it now tho. Do you think that's a good price, $200 for the engine and trans?
I'd say so. Most people charge 200 just for a running, or ran when pulled 305. Almost double for a decent shape 350. Was it running before it was pulled out? The condition of the engine (oil, grime, grease, etc) will give you a clue as to how well the car was taken care of. Bottom end leaks (pan gasket, rear main seal) are understandable as not many people have the experience, time, or money to fix those, but things like intake or valve cover gaskets is a mark of laziness or ineptitude. Also, keep that intake around. If it's a factory intake and if it truly is an HO motor, it can hold some value if you ever get rid of the engine.

84Monte305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2017
I'd say so. Most people charge 200 just for a running, or ran when pulled 305. Almost double for a decent shape 350. Was it running before it was pulled out? The condition of the engine (oil, grime, grease, etc) will give you a clue as to how well the car was taken care of. Bottom end leaks (pan gasket, rear main seal) are understandable as not many people have the experience, time, or money to fix those, but things like intake or valve cover gaskets is a mark of laziness or ineptitude. Also, keep that intake around. If it's a factory intake and if it truly is an HO motor, it can hold some value if you ever get rid of the engine.
As far as the guy has told me, he said it ran great when pulled. He said he built a 350 and put in place of the 305. He was asking $250 but I brought him down to $200. Ok thanks for telling me that, I was going to scrap the old part! But from the pics it seems to look decent. It certainly does not look like he kept it in show conditions though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-08-18-03-16-17.png
    Screenshot_2017-08-18-03-16-17.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 205

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
As far as the guy has told me, he said it ran great when pulled. He said he built a 350 and put in place of the 305. He was asking $250 but I brought him down to $200. Ok thanks for telling me that, I was going to scrap the old part! But from the pics it seems to look decent. It certainly does not look like he kept it in show conditions though.
Looks like a 100k+ engine. Nothing really out of the ordinary. One thing I do suggest, replace the cogged belts with the non cogged, or smooth if you will, v belts. Most hardware stores or farm supply stores will have them. The cogged belts actually stretch as you tighten them and can squeal. I put "smooth" belts on my 350 and never had to tighten them. Just make sure you get the same size. Or go to about any junkyard and rob the serpentine setup off another sbc. If you're lucky, you could get away with a dingle ball rebuild. Honed to take the glaze off and get a new surface for new rings, throw in some gaskets and bearings, that cam and timing set, and off ya go. Oh, and I'd replace the freeze/pipe plugs. It'd sure be a b*tch if you got it in there and they started weeping.

84Monte305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 17, 2017
Looks like a 100k+ engine. Nothing really out of the ordinary. One thing I do suggest, replace the cogged belts with the non cogged, or smooth if you will, v belts. Most hardware stores or farm supply stores will have them. The cogged belts actually stretch as you tighten them and can squeal. I put "smooth" belts on my 350 and never had to tighten them. Just make sure you get the same size. Or go to about any junkyard and rob the serpentine setup off another sbc. If you're lucky, you could get away with a dingle ball rebuild. Honed to take the glaze off and get a new surface for new rings, throw in some gaskets and bearings, that cam and timing set, and off ya go. Oh, and I'd replace the freeze/pipe plugs. It'd sure be a b*tch if you got it in there and they started weeping.
Yeah, looks ok to me. He said it had 115k miles when he took it out. I would love to have the block honed and bored over .30. How much do you think that would cost me? Would I see good gains for the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor