78 GMC caballero (elky love)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Momma likes Christmas
Daddy likes tax return!
Flanging dies for the bead roller
Drop spindles for the cabby (note, 2000 GMC jimmy 2wd to complement the brakes I'm running)
Sheet metal shrinker/stretchers
1/8" 5/16" cleco set
Poly engine mounts
Energy suspension assembly lube
Covell bead rolling basics DVD
And they sent me a free shop hat! I spend way too much at summit..
DF9A9EF2-4933-4562-9A2A-30C11B22D787-1144-0000057FE45AEC14_zps478e03cc.jpg

All the wood and hard wear I need for a new work bench
05CF712F-4A2A-4150-85FF-F76077D7B7EB-1144-0000057FEF4D6CA3_zps7ac8c0fc.jpg

Even had a little bank for some brand new used front upper control arms (some rebuilding required) thank you again for the deal mike!
D2914E23-EA47-46B7-8BB2-2EB98D1357D9-1144-000005815EF805F2_zps3347550b.jpg

Nice! I am doing the income tax right now, 😀 . Hoping to get a few things for the wagon I need.

I have the Eastwood shrinker /stretcher. LOVE THEM! I would not have been able to do the rear pillar repairs so nicely with out them, along with the wheelwell patches and the like.

I can't wait to give them a try.
I think they will come in handy judging by the amount of sealent around the windshield

Got most of the work benched knocked together, still need to make drawers and a slide out shelf for the saw.. pretty happy so far.
B513273B-BF34-4670-B6BD-B1806BE8E6CE-1309-0000058EE8887DDD_zps6e02ffe4.jpg

BA8CD692-86DC-450A-803A-DBEA4DABD5BE-1309-0000058EDEA4E9D0_zps8d1456aa.jpg

Nice to have the room to be able to set your metal shaping tools up permanently. My sh*t has to get tucked off into the corner till I use it. I need a bigger garage and a smaller house. 😀

liquidh8 said:
Nice to have the room to be able to set your metal shaping tools up permanently. My sh*t has to get tucked off into the corner till I use it. I need a bigger garage and a smaller house. 😀
LMAO,
here I am bumming out that I dont have the room for a real proper size work shop. I had to make the work bench so darn narrow so it wouldnt stick out past the door opining and cut into floor space!

well it seems Im spending more time working on tools than cars!

I bought a woodward fab bead roller thinking that the little extra paid would get me a better quality unit than harbor freight.
The woodward fab part number is #WFBR6
After using it once or twice and seeing Covell's presentation on his bead rolling basics DVD I came to the conclusion that this unit is just as poor quality as the harbor freight one. It also appears who ever assembled it from the factory scored up the bearings very badly.
Normally I would not bad mouth a company but I have contacted them to see if they would allow me to return it for store credit so I could step up to a better quality unit, they said I was SOL...

So attempting to make the best of the situation (after all it did come with 6 dies that if bought separately would be way more then the price I paid) I have decided to take some of covells tips and tricks to improve this unit.

Please note I am obviously a novice and this unit in the proper hands is probably not as bad as I make it seem. Also the improvements I plan on making to it are based on covell's bead rolling basics DVD. I am not an expert, I am not trying to pretend I am, I just feel the need to document the improvements in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.

The Issues I have with the unit that I hope to address:
- When you roll a bead the body has a tendency to twist and deflect causing an uneven appearance to the bead.
- Mittler brother dies have a smaller diameter hole in the center and a larger outer diameter
- The hand crank is very difficult to use while you feed the material into the machine (especially for me as I am still recovering from a shoulder surgery)
- The unit clamps into a bench vice nicely but in order to clamp it to a table you have to remove your entire bench vice, clamp that to the table, then clamp the unit into the vice.
- The pressure adjusting screw requires a wrench to operate
- The top roller needs to be lifted each time you load or unload material
- There is not provisions for a material guide so maintaining a straight line is near impossible (I suspect the hand crank, and body flex are also contributing factors)

I make due with the space that I have, then again, I have more tools and part than most. 😀

I have read that the woodward, harbor frieght, and eastwood are all along the same lines. Kinda flimsy in the fram, and the bearings aren't the best. I have seen some good threads to upgrade them.

One of these days I will get one.

Finished modifications on the bead roller (yes, that is a gbody steering wheel welded to it)
2FEBD3BF-4706-43CB-8B51-8A3B52F1A950-3282-00000D86A165DDA5_zps32e70caf.jpg

0327ED39-1760-462E-8E20-EBAFB3A5A481-3282-00000D86AB2A8842_zpsd5f08986.jpg

Went to Lowes for a few screws, cutoff wheels and perhaps some new drill bits... it kinda got out of hand...

IMG_29648148247000_zpsa73232f3.jpg

Also the Whitney roper steel hole punch I ordered came in. I'm geeked about that!

Christmas is over, and you are still getting gifts, 😀

Started PT on my shoulder again, between that and the cold I have not been productive!
However a spark of insperation got me today while working on some brackets for Liquidh8 brake swap.
I discovered that that c6 zo6 355mm calipers will mount directly to my 2wd Jimmy spindles
zo6 rotors are 1/8" thicker than the blazer ones and they are 3/8" thinner over-all.
Meaning, I can easily clearence the PAB if need be to accomadate the thicker rotors.
If the thickness between the wheel mount surface and hub mount surfaces are the same between the two; I can run a 3/8" thick adaptor bracket without having to shimm between the hubs and knuckle.
lastly the diameter diffrence between the two (273.3mm vs 355mm) that I can easily relocate the Jimmy bolts far enough away from the origional location to be structrually sound...

Kore 3 makes the brackets to run the c5/c6 calipers and hangers, but as I already have the jimmy stuff, why bother?

so thats the challange, make a simple adaptor plate and possibly hub shims to run the 355mm rotors on the jimmy spindles....
this should be fun!

Hopefully your PT will pick up and get that shoulder in shape!

I am looking for ward to seeing how the 355mm rotor fits with the Blazer parts. I bet a few guys would love to see that bracket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor