BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Follow up to a previous adventure, getting cruise control working. I used to have functional cruise with my 2001 non flex enabled PCM but I swapped to a flex fuel enabled 2002 PCM and lost the ability to put manual trans data into the PCM due to a data availability mismatch. (GM never made a stick flex ECM and you can't segment swap the right data). I can swap the 02 PCM for the 01 and cruise works so wiring is all right.

I stumped 2 very knowledgeable tuners and 2 HPT tech support people. One of the HPT tech guys said to reach out to James Short (who is probably one of the best HPT tuners, stick camaro in the 7's) and he said he loves a challenge and was eager to take a look (essentially I found the right guy who just happens to like stick cars and has the knowledge and software to do stuff HPT doesn't). First revision didn't work, but I have hope. If he can't do it, nobody can. I am just honestly grateful he is taking the time to look at it.

Old man winter is close and although I was planning to make one last run at the track, I looked at the calendar and realized I gotta get the cars swapped before the salt trucks come out. The weather does look OK ish for a few weeks, but my weekends are booked until mid November and the chance of an Alberta clipper in early November is about 90% so I gotta get the switch done.

Storage is 3 hours away at the Inlaw's and I need to swap the GP for the cutlass to swap the driveline this winter (damn 2 stall garage probs). Plus the wife and I have errands to do at the inlaws.

I need to make the trip up there ASAP anyways to look at this dumpster fire Omega anyways. It's missing the engine and trans, was a former drag car, and looks like big bird had his way with his favorite color, but it has a title, is cheap, and judging by the tacky fiberglass hood scoop from 1978 it just MIGHT be decent body-wise assuming it got converted into a drag car early in its life and has sat indoors for a period of time. Interior looks decent but the photos are potato-quality.

There is also a set of 15*10 GM slots and a Vortec 4200 for sale at the same time *cough*
1634264724656.png

Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Is your car DBW?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 user

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
I need to make the trip up there ASAP anyways to look at this dumpster fire Omega anyways. It's missing the engine and trans, was a former drag car, and looks like big bird had his way with his favorite color, but it has a title, is cheap, and judging by the tacky fiberglass hood scoop from 1978 it just MIGHT be decent body-wise assuming it got converted into a drag car early in its life and has sat indoors for a period of time. Interior looks decent but the photos are potato-quality.

There is also a set of 15*10 GM slots and a Vortec 4200 for sale at the same time *cough*
I saw that on FB.....better go get it before it's gone......that things a steal compared to the asking prices I'm seeing on shelled out Nova's.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
What are you thinking for a trans? Is there anyway to mate the 4200 to a 4l80e to a th400?

I have a th400 sitting around. There is a company that makes an atlas to sbc style adapter plate. The other problem is an oil pan. The trailblazer is front sump and obviously every thing else needs rear sump. Rear sump pans are available by the adapter plate company (emtec motorsports). Chopping and welding 4" into a 3700 Colorado I6 is an option too.

I am assuming this Omega is going to be roached so I'm not getting my hopes too high.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The 4200 is a dare to be different deal. There is nothing economical about transplanting one imho.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Oh and it's going to be kinda depressing having this car in storage. With the new clutch and some tuning updates the car just rocks. Driveability and everything is awesome. Best it's ever been. Really happy with how it's turned out!

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor