BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Some wins and losses today.

Good news, ran to the awesome industrial hardware store and I got everything I needed for my adjustable coil spring pockets. They look a bit tippy i know, but they are burned in hot and the force goes straight down and is like 2000lbs at most on each side, which is nothing for a 1" UNF all thread.

It gets me about 2" of lift on demand for hauling trailers for drag week type events, ability to level the car's corner weights for autocross and all that fun stuff. And it has a jam nut and hex head to adjust height.

Bad news? Tried fitting my new posi carrier and it didn't fit. Turns out the bearings were too big? Odd since this is the same kit I ordered for the original axle build for this car. They must be like 1500 truck bearings or something? Not sure why I got the last order right but this one is wrong? I gotta call quick perf tomorrow.

Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
One step forward, two steps back. Well more like one step back.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Well I called Quick and they said just send the posi carrier back, they will swap bearings and ship it back to me. I just have to cover shipping. Cool! Hopefully it will be here early next week.

I also got my spherical UCA bushings placed in the plate, and my Morosso studs in the moser axles. They were drilled to knurl size of 7/16 or screw in, but I have 12mm studs on everything I own so drilled the holes out to .5" and pressed them in.

Hopefully i'll get the rear in epoxy primer tomorrow and maybe paint thursday?

Long black studs :O

Reactions: 6 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I try to meet my deadlines!

I realized I have no semi gloss black paint. I'm not sure if I am going to use the black 2 stage for my rainier or just get some enamel implement paint, or buy another can of black single stage PPG from the paint store.

Wire wheeled

In Epoxy

Reactions: 7 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Just about ready!

Reactions: 6 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Quick said the diff got shipped this AM. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

Pulled the wide 8.6 today and got the brake calipers and lines on the new rear. I ordered 275/40/17 for the rear friday and yet to have seen shipping info??? Grrrrr... I need them by Wednesday to make it to the autocross at the show formerly known as CarCraft this weekend.

New diff should go in tomorrow? I got the seals installed and its just waiting the diff!

Reactions: 8 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Doesn't MHM have them in his wagon?

He does. Adjustable from in the car too...

But, dude's a hoser.

I do like that this solution could be done with a ratcheting wrench.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
He does. Adjustable from in the car too...

But, dude's a hoser.

I do like that this solution could be done with a ratcheting wrench.

I'm from Minnesota, it's like Hoser Adjacent :) I've seen more hockey sticks in gun racks in 80's pickups than any actual firearms and the biggest building in town after walmart, the factories and community college pool was the ice arena.

Yeah, the intent is to be able to use a gear wrench or similar but this uses an 1 1/2" nut and I can't find that large of a gear wrench. So far I have been using a channel lock but once it's in the car I need to find an actual wrench. Preferrably 1 1/8 on one side and 1 1/2" on the other so i can adjust the jamb nuts on my UCA heims also with the same wrench.

Adjusting in the car would be sweat and work on any other G body but since the trunk is do damn small on this I can't get back there to do anything.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor