BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I got writers block on my Thesis so I went out to the garage and did some TIG practice.

The right weld is yesterday when I forgot to turn the gas on, left is today. Some 2.5" scrap intercooler pipe I have laying around.
1626987633341.png

So I thought why not weld the 4" intake tube I made to pull fresh air from the headlight bucket to the throttle body. I used to have a silicone coupler there so why not.
1626987720158.png

Of course the best welds (C+ work at best) ended up on the bottom of the pipe.
1626987773367.png

Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I got writers block on my Thesis so I went out to the garage and did some TIG practice.

The right weld is yesterday when I forgot to turn the gas on, left is today. Some 2.5" scrap intercooler pipe I have laying around.
View attachment 180108

So I thought why not weld the 4" intake tube I made to pull fresh air from the headlight bucket to the throttle body. I used to have a silicone coupler there so why not.
View attachment 180109

Of course the best welds (C+ work at best) ended up on the bottom of the pipe.
View attachment 180110

It's fun, isn't it?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That's why I wrap all my sh*t lol.

Tig = form,
Mig = function

If you've seen any of my stuff, then you know where I'm at.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
It's fun, isn't it?

Totally. I searched the garage trying to find more aluminum stuff to weld but I ran out of options that are simple. Everything I kept thinking of required extensive ordering and hours of complex work...

In other news I got my pressure switch installed and wired on my clutch valve to trigger the 2 step. It's set to 250psi now. Hopefully this will be more controllable and not be so rev happy when I side step the clutch.
IMG_20210722_212616.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Not-update.

Planned on doing the ~250 mile round trip to Brainerd intl. raceway (never been there) for Wednesday night street drags to dial in the launch and test out my new timing table, but I looked at the weather and it's forecast to be not only the hottest day of the year, but also likely wet.

Although my AC does work, I'd rather not swap tires when it's 93 degrees in long pants. Plus, mid 90's plus light rain equals high chance for severe thunderstorms, so I am throwing the towel in for tomorrow.

Next track opportunity is August 11 so I am going to punt for 2 weeks. Any suggestions on things I should do for the next 2 weeks? :)

1627418831867.png

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Not-update.

Planned on doing the ~250 mile round trip to Brainerd intl. raceway (never been there) for Wednesday night street drags to dial in the launch and test out my new timing table, but I looked at the weather and it's forecast to be not only the hottest day of the year, but also likely wet.

Although my AC does work, I'd rather not swap tires when it's 93 degrees in long pants. Plus, mid 90's plus light rain equals high chance for severe thunderstorms, so I am throwing the towel in for tomorrow.

Next track opportunity is August 11 so I am going to punt for 2 weeks. Any suggestions on things I should do for the next 2 weeks? :)

View attachment 180442
Work on the turbo 4.1? Put A/C in the garage? Keep cool and build models to fortify the car fund?

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Dr. Pepper is the poor man’s track compound. Find a local road and turn it into a black lines matter road - then take your time dial inyour launch to not be at 5 degrees when you dump the clutch.
But be safe and lift before you hit 60mph.

FYI - I’ve never done any type of red neck testing and tuning like that before, but you folks from the Midwest have a lot less population density than us NYer’s. 🤪😉😑😉

125 miles to a track - Geesh that’s a pita. I wish I didn’t know the feeling.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Dr. Pepper is the poor man’s track compound. Find a local road and turn it into a black lines matter road - then take your time dial inyour launch to not be at 5 degrees when you dump the clutch.
But be safe and lift before you hit 60mph.

FYI - I’ve never done any type of red neck testing and tuning like that before, but you folks from the Midwest have a lot less population density than us NYer’s. 🤪😉😑😉

125 miles to a track - Geesh that’s a pita. I wish I didn’t know the feeling.

Don't ever become a road racer, 100 miles is my longest local event. In other regions it's not unusual for 250 to be your short haul. If I ever get into drag racing (likely with the Monte if I ever have time to clean it up) it'll get trailered. I can't imagine not trailering to a track anymore. The peace of mind, having a place to hide from the sun, I wouldn't want to be without.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor