BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Winner
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
So yesterday while the car was running I would turn the electric fans on via rocker switch and the engine would die. I tried again and same thing. I guess the fans were drawing too much power and shutting it down.
As usual, I took a couple steps back and headed Mike's original advice to wire the fans into the engine harness. The ECM is designed to operate them, and both fans can be controlled to come on at diff setpoints.
Luckily the wiring was easy to access, so I unhooked the switch, wired them into the harness wires, adjusted the tune to operate them. The cool thing is in the scanner function of HP Tuners....I can command them on and off with the "push" of a button to test them. If time permits later I'll run the car up to temp to make sure the fan(s) are operating as tuned to.

Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Congrats bud. Sounds like it'll be driving before Spring.

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I haven't got to retest the fans, but I did finish up some more wiring. I made the decision to move my vacuum pump wiring to inside the breadbox of the console. That allowed me to put two rocker switches in spare parts, and eliminate some wires!
I bought a male/female pigtail earlier to make it more plug and play. I also redid the wiring for the shift indicator light on the shifter. I'll have to tuck some away, but for now the wiring is pretty much done and tidied up!!!!!! I hooked the battery up and verified everything functions, good to go!
20200126_215711.jpg
20200126_224516.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Quick update. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why both electric fans weren't turning on yesterday. I wired them correctly and verified power, so I figured it was likely something simple.
Mike suggested the tune he sent me as everything was verified correct. Sure enough, one of the A/C settings controls the 2nd fan. I had selected the option "analog cycling" which is right next to "analog"(the correct option). D'oh!!! I flashed it, let the car warm up and whaddya know both fans turned on at the desired set point in the tune!!!
Oh yeah, a snapshot of the gear indicator lamp which should luminate well once installed....
Screenshot_20200127-080738_Video Player.jpg

Annnnd I just found one of the u bolt exhaust clamps is broken! The pipes have been dripping from the muffler area so I figured they needed to be tightened. One of them was broken, cheap azz small diameter clamps!!!! I emailed Pypes and left a review a couple weeks ago on how they should include band clamps, they replied that they feel their exhaust kits are priced right and band clamps would be prohibitively more expensive to include! Dude, WTF ever, get them in bulk for cheap and mark them up and still be a good deal!

Reactions: 8 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Just a thought: can you program the fans independently? It would be a lot easier on the charging system to only bring the 2nd fan in when needed as opposed to all the time....

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Just a thought: can you program the fans independently? It would be a lot easier on the charging system to only bring the 2nd fan in when needed as opposed to all the time....
That's how they're programmed already. 1st fan comes on at set temp, 2nd fan comes on at higher temp in case 1st fan isn't cooling it down fast enough.
They're also programmed to run after shutdown in the event the engine is WAY hot, and for a designated amount of time.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor