BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Thanks man, I appreciate the tips for sure. Funny you mentioned the "ground coat" method as that's what I usually try to do when spraying. This time I wanted to follow the instructions that SEM recommends as it's the 1st time using their stuff. I followed prep, and it said 2-3 medium wet coats with 5 mins flash between.
I would say maybe it was an issue with not using an adhesion promoter as SEM says it's not needed on metal...but the rest of the windows looked great so that's not the issue. I should be used to it by now, but I hate spending sooooo much time prepping a part for paint, just to have it pissed me off and have to do it over!!!!
Once again Donovan, thanks and I will take extra extra time on round 2 and hope it works.

Hey man, it happens. Not much we can do about it. Fish eyes and poor adhesion can be a real PITA to deal with, and unfortunately you don't know they're there until it's too late. It happens to the best painters in the world too, if that's any consolation.

I know you mentioned SEM doesn't recommend using an adhesion promoter, but it certainly couldn't hurt anything.
Try the lacquer thinner trick, followed by your wax and grease remover, some compatible adhesion promoter, and the ground coat method. It might be a bit overkill, but if it works and saves you from having to redo it a third time, then it'll be worth it.

Just my thoughts and some things to try. Hope it works out for you, I'm looking forward to the results. Other than the one trouble spot, they look great man. Keep on keepin' on.
🙂

Last edited:
Injectedcutty, as much attention as you pay to detail, your car is gonna be awesome.
Thanks Opie! I'm trying to get this vision out of my head and onto my car, but damn it gets frustrating sometimes....that's hotrodding!
It's all a learning experience for me since this is my first true resto from ground up, and the knowledge I've gained just in the past 5 years has been remarkable. Now if I can get the paint to hold next time, maybe a little adhesion promoter and sweet talk will make it work lol!

Hey man, it happens. Not much we can do about it. Fish eyes and poor adhesion can be a real PITA to deal with, and unfortunately you don't know they're there until it's too late. It happens to the best painters in the world too, if that's any consolation.

I know you mentioned SEM doesn't recommend using an adhesion promoter, but it certainly couldn't hurt anything.
Try the lacquer thinner trick, followed by your wax and grease remover, some compatible adhesion promoter, and the ground coat method. It might be a bit overkill, but if it works and saves you from having to redo it a third time, then it'll be worth it.

Just my thoughts and some things to try. Hope it works out for you, I'm looking forward to the results. Other than the one trouble spot, they look great man. Keep on keepin' on.
🙂
Oh, I'm definitely going to use some promoter the next time around just in case! Like I told Opie, maybe a little sweet talk while painting will help with the good juju lol!

Reactions: Rktpwrd
I went to kentucky 27 years ago lol
My apologies in advance lol, just kidding man. My late grandmother retired from U of L, so I grew up a Cards fan! I do pull for the Cats as long as they don't play each other, and I live in a divided household so I have to keep the wife happy too!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor