BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Need to see pics of those wheels on the car, i'm so torn on wheels for my '79 LeMans. These might work for me. :)
I don't have any rubber on them yet. However, next time i get over to where my cutlass is i will be taking a rear wheel to double check clearance. I will take pics and post them. For the price, i think they will set off most g bodies that need a larger wheel but retro look.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Well, I'm finally gonna catch up to Donovan and Jim in regards to posting an update lol! As my luck usually goes, the planned 2 days for cutlass time this week got shot to sh*t and was only able to get 3 hours in today!!!! My body guy got called into work tomorrow, however we were able to get primer on the driver side and the jambs for now. Next step is to block it out and see how close it is to spraying some color. The driver side quarter needs a little more finesse due to a minor dent that occurred during transit several years back! It looked straight until the primer hit it, but needs just a bit more work.
On the bright side, i have all my new weatherstripping now except for new outer window sweeps (Anybody have a good source for them....i know rockauto, gbodyparts, etc have them.) I also got my new ring brothers hood bumpers ( thanks again Hafrod for the right size to get)!!!!
Anyhow, i will shut up for now and post some pics! I'm very pleased with the progress as of today....getting closer and closer to seeing my vision come to fruition!
20160902_134912.jpg
20160902_134942.jpg
20160902_135052.jpg
20160902_135125.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Here are the rest of the pics as well as the new hood bumpers (I'm gonna make some plates for them but I'm keeping that little custom touch under wraps for now, sorry guys).
20160902_135258.jpg
20160902_135319.jpg
20160902_135409.jpg
20160829_181928.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Lovin' the progress Scott!
Things are looking great, thanks for the pics. There's just something cool about seeing clean straight panels in virgin primer...
:)
I wish I was as far ahead as you in the paint and body stage, but my problem is that I just can't leave things well enough alone in their stock form. There's still so many subtle touches and body mods that I want to implement before I get to where you're at. But anyways...

Thanks for giving us all the update, keep up the great work!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Lovin' the progress Scott!
Things are looking great, thanks for the pics. There's just something cool about seeing clean straight panels in virgin primer...
:)
I wish I was as far ahead as you in the paint and body stage, but my problem is that I just can't leave things well enough alone in their stock form. There's still so many subtle touches and body mods that I want to implement before I get to where you're at. But anyways...

Thanks for giving us all the update, keep up the great work!
No problem Donovan! Being that this ride was supposed to be painted 2 years ago, I'm super excited to finally see it this close to paint that's for sure!!! But we all know when doing a full resto it just takes time, especially when working full time, managing a family, the $$$$ comes in spurts, etc.
I learned that these cars can't be rushed when trying to make them as custom as possible but still appear somewhat stock. When finished i want people to look at it and say "wow some love went into that build a d it wasn't just thrown together."
Thanks again for the support Donovan, hoping to have some more updates in the near future!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Since i wasn't able to work on the cutlass today we switched gears and leaped a huge hurdle on my dad's '90 Jeep YJ sbc conversion!!!!
I know it's not a g body but it's my dad's toy....he wanted a Jeep from the time he left Vietnam. He picked it up in 2000 and drove it daily until the block mounts on the 4.2L broke causing total block failure. The intention was to put another 4.2L in it until we found out how hard they are to get in good condition. After crunching numbers he decided doing a sbc swap would cost the same. Needless to say this motor swap turned into a body off when we found rotting frame rails and several other issues!!!!
Like i said, i know it's not a g, but my dad deserves to have his jeep back on the road before he retires! I'm only gonna post a few pics because I'm proud to say my brother n law and myself are helping out getting it squared away. Kudos to my bro for becoming a pretty decent welder!
20160521_152949.jpeg
20160903_133742.jpg
20160903_134402.jpg
20160903_150446.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Got to spend some more time wet sanding yippee lol!!! Had to take all the primer off my new spoiler because the company i got it from didn't do the best job spraying it!!! There were some cracks in the primer and my paint n body guy was afraid if he just primed it, then painted it there would be issues down the road. Just sucked because i had to get the paint off without getting into the glass structure. This pic shows the easy part...the underside however took some time because i didn't wanna mess it up.
20160905_194642.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Dug out my outer window sweeps to figure out which are the correct ones i need to order. I'm pretty sure i need the type without the reveal molding as my cutlass didn't have the chrome trim on top of the door flat....guys please correct me if wrong. Also, buick guys chime in please, the 87 regal, GN, and cutlass all use the same sweeps correct? I'm thinking about getting the black bead style for the GN since all my trim will be black, just wanna make sure first. As always, thanks everybody for checking it out!!!
20160905_142152.jpg

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
No super major updates other than all the cutlass body parts have had a serious block sanding treatment today while i was stuck at work....imagine that! I'm being told that by the end of next week the car SHOULD be ready for paint woohoo!!!! If it takes a few weeks longer I'm fine with that too as I'm going to go over it meticulously to make sure I'm happy before it gets the color treatment.
I did get some new inner and outer door sweeps ordered, along with some new outer handles (gonna have to scuff them and reshoot the black as there are some imperfections that will be visible once installed but at $4.62/each I'm okay with that)...thanks rockauto! I will order new locks next week to match as my trim will be blacked out and i want this stuff to match. Stay tuned.
20160916_195524.jpg

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Got my new inner and outer door felts from rockauto today!!! I have to say after looking them over and comparing to the stock units I'm very pleased with the quality that Fairchild puts out!!!! All the mounting holes line up perfectly, and they look factory....just didn't come with hardware but luckily i found that bagged and tagged over the weekend! I did also get a new black door/trunk lock kit ordered today from Kirban performance which i should have in a few days.
Back in the box they go for safe keeping until the cutlass gets its
20160919_173308.jpg
20160919_173336.jpg
fresh shiney paint!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor