BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
those upper control arms you're running,do they have any math built into them are they just tubular copies of the stockers?
I believe they are copies of the stock units Chris. On teardown, I marked the shim locations, and even matched the new tie rod lengths to the old ones to get it close. It's not off much, but definitely needs some more negative camber.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Cool beans dude. You'll never get rid of that whistle NA due to the overly large TB for the engine. As you mentioned, the IAC is working overtime.

If you had a smaller (stock) TB, then that noise will be gone. Or install a Taiwan transmission trasher and it'll be muffled :)

Edit - I didn't notice there were another 2 pages of posts after the running video - oops.

I read a couple of the other posts and there is an excellent chance that those guys are onto something, but I've never been able to lose that sound via an IAC change. I'll bet if you crack the TB open about 1-2 %, then the sound is gone. But the idle is higher.

I say live with it, then you'll know when your motor is running vs everyone else's.

Reactions: 5 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Its needs a Hiroshima hair dryer, to change the tone of the whistle.

Mine doesnt whistle, but I have a crusty junkyard IAC with 200k on it. Must be the shine on yours causing it. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Btw, do you or any other guys know a good alignment set point. How much camber/caster, toe and such???

Camber/caster? All of it. Seriously as much as possible. 0 toe.

But yes, you need a Wuhan Whirlybird.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You can definitely set the toe and center the steering wheel with a tape measure but it would be easier with a helper. We used this to align the front end on the Camaro and the Galaxie...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PKI0YSU/?tag=gbody-20

I'll use it on the Roadmaster soon. Since your neighbor probably has something even more sophisticated, it's worth just waiting for him rather than spending the money.

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We set the Camaro to the factory specifications in the shop manual. It's a street car. We're happy with it.

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I agree with getting as much caster in as you can, but I could only get about 3.25⁰ on the factory crossshafts- no shims in front, rear bolts as far out as I was comfortable with (left a thread). I'm about-.5⁰ camber.

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
You can definitely set the toe and center the steering wheel with a tape measure but it would be easier with a helper. We used this to align the front end on the Camaro and the Galaxie...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PKI0YSU/?tag=gbody-20

I'll use it on the Roadmaster soon. Since your neighbor probably has something even more sophisticated, it's worth just waiting for him rather than spending the money.
Yeah he has all the tools to do it since he sets the circle track cars all the time. He'll be back the 2and week of March so I'll be ready for him.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor