BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I made a template out of cardboard, then cut a piece of MDF to fit. This was then bolted to a bracket in the wheel well. A Billet Specialties battery tray is attached to the MDF. I guess the old adage of "a picture is worth 1,000 word" holds true -- see below. ;)

View attachment 156200 View attachment 156201

View attachment 156202
That's creative man! Did you raise the level of the trunk floor for it to stay hidden under the carpet? Also, how is the MDF attached to the well? I'm gonna be working on finishing out my trunk over the winter and trying to have a solid plan in place.

Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I did the same thing many years ago on my first Malibu so I could smuggle beer to parties when I was underage 🤣

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Did you raise the level of the trunk floor for it to stay hidden under the carpet?

Yes, the trunk floor was raised in order to make it flat. This allowed me to hide the power amps and cover the battery.

Also, how is the MDF attached to the well?

I mounted two "L"-brackets on the sides of the spare tire wheel well. This made for solid mounting points for the base of the battery holder.

Some more pics:

(2008-02-23) 13.jpg

(2008-09-02) 03.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Yes, the trunk floor was raised in order to make it flat. This allowed me to hide the power amps and cover the battery.

I mounted two "L"-brackets on the sides of the spare tire wheel well. This made for solid mounting points for the base of the battery holder.

Some more pics:

View attachment 156231

View attachment 156232
Decent, thanks for the additional pics.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Off work today, the weather is perfect so I loaded up the girls and went cruising! Got a decent video of taking off from a dig, but I'll have to upload to the tube. Stopped by a park for the girls to burn some energy.
20200904_113453.jpg

Reactions: 11 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Off work today, the weather is perfect so I loaded up the girls and went cruising! Got a decent video of taking off from a dig, but I'll have to upload to the tube. Stopped by a park for the girls to burn some energy. View attachment 156239

And parked like a complete dick too! Did you at least do it right and take up 4 spots???
🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Should have parked at an angle -- less chance for someone to park right next to you!

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
After contemplating twenty different directions to go, finally said screw it and used the plastic battery tray I have. Went to the hardware store for some spacers, then drilled 4 holes in the well floor. Installed some rivnuts, then mounted the tray. Seems pretty secure! I'll have to fab a cross brace for the topside, but I'll wait until I sit the battery in there.
Part of me wants to work on moving the wiring and such now, but it's a beautiful weekend here in KY and if I wanna just take off i won't be able to. I'll probably wait until Monday as I'm working next weekend, and waiting on some buss bars to come in next week.
20200905_123925.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Just a thought -- you can mount a Ford solenoid in that wheel well beside the battery. It'll make it safer running a wire all the way to the front to reach the starter.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor