A quick question about motor mount inserts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
Hello everyone, I just had a quick question and was hoping I could get a little input. I am doing a 454 swap into an 84 Monte, I have taken the motor mounts off the frame so I can clean up and paint chassis...and since they are not the easiest thing to take on and off, I thought now would be a good time to replace the motor mount inserts. I was watching some episodes of Powerblock TV when they did the big block swap into the Monte, and they used Prothane inserts. Summit carries them for $60 a set, I guess I was just curious if anyone had any other options or opinions.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Mine would not sag enough to get my 454 in place. I fought and fought and fought. It has new parts store versions in place now.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
whatever you use make sure you use the same material for the transmission support

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Mine would not sag enough to get my 454 in place. I fought and fought and fought. It has new parts store versions in place now.

I know that feeling. Getting the engine in with rubber mounts seemed so much easier. When I did the urethane mounts it was a fun time trying to get it in.

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
Thanks for the responses

I know that feeling. Getting the engine in with rubber mounts seemed so much easier. When I did the urethane mounts it was a fun time trying to get it in.

So is there less play with polyurethane than the rubber making it harder to get the engine side mounts to line up with the holes of the insert on the frame side? I have the front clip completely off right now, so I should have plenty of room to help coax it into place.

whatever you use make sure you use the same material for the transmission support

This is the kit I was planning on buying unless I received some responses here that steered me in another direction.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-7-1906/overview/year/1984/make/chevrolet/model/monte-carlo

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I had just a bit more problem lining up the mounts. But loosening just one side on the frame allowed it to fall in to place.

Reactions: 1 users

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Thanks for the responses

So is there less play with polyurethane than the rubber making it harder to get the engine side mounts to line up with the holes of the insert on the frame side? I have the front clip completely off right now, so I should have plenty of room to help coax it into place.

The urethane mounts are pretty hard compared to the rubber and gets a bit tough to get the the engine in. I loosened the bolts on the frame side to have the mount move a bit. It will be easier since you have the front clip of to muscle it in a bit better.

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it. I have read that some people say that urethane mounts transfer a lot more vibration into the car than rubber, but less than solid. Did you guys notice an increase in vibrations in switching to urethane? This is going to be a street car and I definitely don't want it to be shaking itself apart while sitting at a stop light. I was looking at replacement rubber mounts on summit, there are several brands that are complete with inserts and new metal housing for about $10-18 a set...then you have the OE Chevy performance ones for 100 bucks each and the urethane inserts fall somewhere in between those two. I am not going to worry about a slight increase in vibrations, but I don't want it to feel like an old ford tractor.

This is my first major build up of a car, so I don't have a lot of experience with these types of after market components...so I appreciate your patience.

Mhael

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2017
I have decided to just go with poly mounts. Does any know if there is a difference between prothane and energy suspension? The prothane kit is about 90 bucks and the ES kit is about 66...the prothane kit looks to have a little better fit and finish by looking at the pics.

• Disagree

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
I've found es products are pretty high quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor