Advanced auto parts morons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Here is another sad thought to ponder: most millennials (current forum members in this group not included) have no idea about the inner workings of automobiles in general. Most "kids" don't have access to old cars to work on. Most have no desire to work on cars when they break down. So the pool of knowledgeable people in the field of automobile repair has been shrinking over the years. The next 30-50 years will be much worse I'm afraid.

As a millenial myself, I have noticed that there are just not as many car people in general anymore. The internet has also gave a lot of instant answers to people who otherwise would have had the curiosity to try it out on their own. A lot of the old school knowledge is starting to die off, and the different groups of car people these days don't interact with each other (or in some cases don't even like each other).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I think back in the day, even in the 1980s, you kinda had to be at least a little bit of a "car person". Cars had to be maintained. They had ignitions with mechanical parts! OooOooOoo spooooky. You HAD to know how to read plugs, you HAD to know how to change a cap and rotor, you HAD to know how to do basic maintenance. No one was coming to save you or help you if your 76 lesabre (standard used teenager car in the 80s I assume) threw a belt or melted the rotor. Even more-so in decades prior to the 80s. I mean, a kid these days can't get their heads around an HEI let alone points. Cars today are made to be idiot proof and go 10,000+ miles on a single oil change and not be harmed at all. And as the years go by, 90s cars (1992 if I remember right) are classic cars now. Insurance is cheaper, parts are cheaper by the day. It's just the progression of things. It sucks, and in 30 years I'll be that middle age dude yelling at the kids to get off my lawn with their hover boards while I'm working on a "vintage" 2017 Hellcat Challenger barn find that I bought of future craigslist for $1,000.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

cjk374

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 8, 2017
Louisiana
Apparently the internet is going to be around for a while longer. Now is the time to be cataloguing all of the information & stories from the older people & put it somewhere on the internet for future generations to have easy access to it just in case someone is working on that $1000 barnfind Demon. Lots of valuable information (and delicious homemade recipes :D ) are lying around in graveyards inaccessible to the world.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
After reading all the comments on this thread I'm glad I am not the only grumpy a-hole when I have go to advance... I try to stay from that place unless it is a sunday that something breaks and I have no choice.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

SSClassic

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2017
Pennsylvania
if the computers went down they would have to close all the Advanced & auto zones,even the managers here dont have a clue.i dont dare say TPI,TBI,TPS,IAC cause they dont know what the abbreviations.and i love it when i need a parking light 194 and they ask me for an engine size,i always say its a 9.0L does your computer agree lol

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
if the computers went down they would have to close all the Advanced & auto zones,even the managers here dont have a clue.i dont dare say TPI,TBI,TPS,IAC cause they dont know what the abbreviations.and i love it when i need a parking light 194 and they ask me for an engine size,i always say its a 9.0L does your computer agree lol
Hmmm, whats that paper thing in the binder? Civil war toilet paper? Those guys look like a monkey f*****g a football when they look in the books. If it ain't on the computer, it's not avalible.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
It's not just the stores. AC Delco will gladly spec you carburetor and distributor parts for an SFI Buick Turbo.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Granted, this local parts store is a Carquest now, but still independently owned.
Pssst. (Whispers) Carquest is owned by Advanced.

I think the only thing that can fix this thread now is more Kate Beckinsale.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Pssst. (Whispers) Carquest is owned by Advanced.

I think the only thing that can fix this thread now is more Kate Beckinsale.
I can certainly agree with more Kate, buuuuuuuuut https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carquest . There are 1350 independent Carquests. My parts guy said that Advance bought them to get WorldPac.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I totally get it. Was just pointing out the connection. I'll quote myself from that other thread.
Napas are hit and miss like all the others. They're a franchise so a lot depends on who owns the store. The last shop I worked for was a Napa Care Center. We were their big fish customer so they kind of kissed our asses. We had 3 sales reps while I worked there. 2 were great and went above and beyond with warranty stuff, the other one loved to deny claims. The counter guys at our home store were a mixed bag. You learn who is helpful and has the knowledge. The best part was the discounts. I was in town last weekend and bought 2 batteries using my old shop connection. Saved more than $90 over the tagged price.
The local Napa where I live now is a joke. I went in to get oil and a filter for my wife's Toyota. Asked the counter guy if they have Proselect line behind the counter. He looked puzzled then said yes. Told him I needed a 27047. He wouldn't go back and get me one until I gave him all the vehicle info so he could look it up. Now I drive to the next town over and shop at AutoZone.

My point? They all kind of suck equally when viewed as an average. There are varying degrees of suckage. Some suck more or less than others but they mostly all suck now. The American speed shop era is long behind us.
20+ years ago i worked for a shop that mainly dealt with an independent parts house. The storefront was originally a dealership service department complete with concrete floors and huge rollup doors with lots of glass facing the street. The owner eventually sold to Baxter's which is a pretty good sized regional chain. They moved into a stripmall storefront and all the good help left. Now it's like fast food.
Speaking of food, the original store front is now a hip distillery/bar/ restaurant on the edge of wine country. Still has all the exposed brick and huge rollup doors.
Can't stop "progress"
getlstd-property-photo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor