big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
fatso86 said:
but the thing is will a stock ls1 run with 350hp 455 olds motor... my bubbys has a 2002 camaro ls1 and he gets beat by a lot of built 350 chevys and 302 fords

a stock ls1 only puts out like 270 to the wheels a good built 350 with good heads will make a whole hell of a lot more so it does make sence that he gets beat by those cars........................................

i know i do not think much of those engines... but i know a guy that has a 400ci 1974 pontiac motor.. and he has a 400ci 1978 sbc chevy what do you guys think the best one would be built for a badass street car.. im going to trade him my 350 chevy.

Pontiac all the way. I have a 455 saved one day for my el camino. But than again I'm biased my family is all pontiac fans. But imho a poncho 400 is better than the chevy. Even though a set of vortecs and a .500ish lift cam will break out a nasty 500+ lbft of torque in the chevy.

SScamino said:
fatso86 said:
but the thing is will a stock ls1 run with 350hp 455 olds motor... my bubbys has a 2002 camaro ls1 and he gets beat by a lot of built 350 chevys and 302 fords

a stock ls1 only puts out like 270 to the wheels a good built 350 with good heads will make a whole hell of a lot more so it does make sence that he gets beat by those cars........................................
Not too nitpick but a stock LS1 was rated at 305-350hp depending on year and application and the Holden (australian) version made 382 hp on stock parts, different tuning of course :mrgreen:

-83MONTESS- said:
SScamino said:
fatso86 said:

Not too nitpick but a stock LS1 was rated at 305-350hp depending on year and application and the Holden (australian) version made 382 hp on stock parts, different tuning of course :mrgreen:
flywheel yes but not wheel

SScamino said:
flywheel yes but not wheel
Right but what im getting at is that not too many STOCK chevy 350's came with 350hp if any. I agree that both are powerful and great engines but with the tune-ability and reliability of these newer injection systems that keep coming out the best bang for the buck will be the LS series in the close future. IMO!

I'm an old guy (58), and I've owned a bunch of motors Small and big block Chevy's, small block Olds, small and big block Buicks, small and big block Mopars, Pontiacs from 326-455+, several LT1's, even small and big block Fords, throw in a couple of Renaults and some o0ther 4 and 6 cyl stuff and even an inline 5! Right now, in the world of performance engines nothing will outrun an LSx inch for inch and dollar for dollar, period. An LS1 and a 350h.p./350 sbc can be put together for about the same money today, I've built both. Both rated 350 h.p. there ain't a day of the week the LS1 won't whip it's *ss. :wink:

dan2286 said:
454muscle said:
megaladon6 said:
yeah, with the emissions programming still in the ECU you could do better with a carb, but there's no way EFI will be less power at "full" tune.
That doesn't make sense to me. EFI is supposedly superior to a mechanically operated air/fuel intake, because it is electronically receiving input before putting out the fuel jet. My crate motor puts out 25 more HP with EFI than the carburated version.

I think he meant with the stock tune on the pcm, the engine will not put out nearly as much power as a computer tuned with no worry about emissions requirements.
I'm a DOOFUS! LOL I just realized he said the same thing I did. D'oh!

I've got an LQ4 (6.0L LS motor in my SIerra 2500), and in stock form in this heavy truck (and after buying the truck I really am not satisfied with the truck, so this isn't a "praise my truck it's got an LS in it" post), it does pulls alright....in a considerably lighter car I am sure it would do great.....
With a cam swap, and just very little more, people have gotten a $***load more power out of these 6.0 motors...and the bottom end is capable of 1000hp (IIRC from research from various places). For a factory block capable of handling that, and throwing a cam, and tune, and some normal hop-ups, these motors do produce, reliably.
Big-blocks will always have the "bad-*ss" outlook for me, when I think of torque, but you cannot discount the LS motors for outrageous horsepower, with minor (if not costly) modifications.

Just my $0.02...

As for the LSx goes, I think running a carbed set-up is taking a step backwards. Fuel injection is a beautiful thing when it comes to drivability, gas mileage and ease of trouble shooting & repair. You can find complete LS engines for less than a retro-fit fuel injection kit for earlier SBC's. Let's also not forget you're looking at a 430lb mill as opposed to a 575lb sbc. IIRC, even the iron truck blocks only weigh an additional 80lbs.

My dad used to have an '99 Silverado with the 285hp 5.3. You could easily break the tires loose at 30mph if you got on it. Imagine a mildly built 6.0 in a g-body that's shed some weight.

If I was building a Chevy I'd really be interested in an LS swap. When it comes to BOP stuff there's just something cool about keeping a traditional engine IMO. There's no more Olds or Pontiac anymore. I don't know what the hell Buick has become either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor