big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would just stay with old school power for my old school car.... easy...cheaper...better for g bodys

G-Body_Vet said:
As for the LSx goes, I think running a carbed set-up is taking a step backwards. Fuel injection is a beautiful thing when it comes to drivability, gas mileage and ease of trouble shooting & repair. You can find complete LS engines for less than a retro-fit fuel injection kit for earlier SBC's. Let's also not forget you're looking at a 430lb mill as opposed to a 575lb sbc. IIRC, even the iron truck blocks only weigh an additional 80lbs.

My dad used to have an '99 Silverado with the 285hp 5.3. You could easily break the tires loose at 30mph if you got on it. Imagine a mildly built 6.0 in a g-body that's shed some weight.

If I was building a Chevy I'd really be interested in an LS swap. When it comes to BOP stuff there's just something cool about keeping a traditional engine IMO. There's no more Olds or Pontiac anymore. I don't know what the hell Buick has become either.
x2! For the 285hp those trucks have they can move! I think my dad said it the best, an LSxnowadays is the equivalent to an old chevy 350 back in the day in terms of durability and power 😀 Either way, both are GREAT!

yea the 5.3 is better 5.7... that what everyone tells me when they being there trucks in my dads garage..

Zl-1 block. It's an all aluminum (iron sleeved) 427 big block that weighs less then a gen1 sbc

fatso86 said:
yea the 5.3 is better 5.7... that what everyone tells me when they being there trucks in my dads garage..
No the 5.7 LS1 has more power. I think your thinking of the Vortec 5300 and the Vortec 5700.

megaladon6 said:
Zl-1 block. It's an all aluminum (iron sleeved) 427 big block that weighs less then a gen1 sbc

Rarer than hens teeth... I know where one is though but I don't think it would be for sale and if it was I bet it would be 25 grand or more. Belongs to a guy that used to own a shop near here, but he passed away and now his wife has it... And like I said I bet it would be at least 25 grand. :lol:

But you could easily build a better than the original replica from a Brodix or Dart or World Products block if you have an extra 7 grand or more sitting around for a bare block. :mrgreen:

For the longest time, the World Products aluminum headed roller cammed small block 454 was my dream motor. $14G.
660.jpg

However you can also get World Products Merlin 454 Crate Short Block for $4,649.99.
82411210_R.jpg

Still, while doing well in business, and when it was time, I funnelled my money into the Edelbrock 555 BBC EFI. I didn't want to have a hot running engine, or high compression, or worry about breaking parts or revving high (limitations of the small blocks with big block cubes). I wanted reliablity and the power too. Hence my preferences changed.
46550-L.jpg

Big block is king.

I didnt say the zl was cheap, or easy to get (though IIRC GM brought it back as a crate engine a few years ago) just that it's a sick motor! Though i'd still take a LS7 or LS9 over it.

I'd say false to your claims of a "big inch small block has to rev to make power". I'm pretty sure this is a clue. http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techa ... to_11.html chevy high performance built a 400 with afr heads. This is non stroked as well and it has a measley 477 ft lbs at 2500 rpm and breaks through 500 at 3000 rpm. Not only does it make torque down there but up top it makes close to 500 horsepower at 5600 rpm.... Lets not even talk LSX numbers.

454muscle said:
However you can also get World Products Merlin 454 Crate Short Block for $4,649.99.
82411210_R.jpg

Still, while doing well in business, and when it was time, I funnelled my money into the Edelbrock 555 BBC EFI. I didn't want to have a hot running engine, or high compression, or worry about breaking parts or revving high (limitations of the small blocks with big block cubes). I wanted reliablity and the power too. Hence my preferences changed.
46550-L.jpg

Big block is king.

You've got my taste I'm not planning a build at the moment as I'm pretty much broke... :lol: But I'm one day going to build a tall deck BBC I'd like a 496 with aluminum heads and EFI and like 10:1 compression but built all forged parts to be able to take a lot more than that. That way you have a big motor that makes big power but is tame and reliable and isn't stretched to it's limits at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor