big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive always liked the thought of a big block build, but then i heard an ls7 can be stroked to 455 and now thats my aim. this wont be for a long time since im still a broke college kid, but when it happens i plan on making it scary.

SScamino said:
I'd say false to your claims of a "big inch small block has to rev to make power". I'm pretty sure this is a clue. http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techa ... to_11.html chevy high performance built a 400 with afr heads. This is non stroked as well and it has a measley 477 ft lbs at 2500 rpm and breaks through 500 at 3000 rpm. Not only does it make torque down there but up top it makes close to 500 horsepower at 5600 rpm.... Lets not even talk LSX numbers.
Who me? I never said that. I know that big inch small blocks make power and torque down low, but they *don't* rev high, and are more susceptible to breaking at higher RPMs, as opposed to a big block, which tend to be more reliable. Actually see what kornball426 said here...
kornball426 said:
... That way you have a big motor that makes big power but is tame and reliable and isn't stretched to it's limits at all.
Thank you, well said.

And then there's the LS7. What, 7-8k rpms? 427ci, small block. And i've seen plenty of small blocks rev high, hell i've seen them SCREAM! But i almost never see a big block do that. And i usually see more power out of small blocks. At least on street cars. Dedicated, tube frame etc, drag cars are a different story.

454muscle said:
I didn't want to have a hot running engine, or high compression, or worry about breaking parts or revving high (limitations of the small blocks with big block cubes). I wanted reliablity and the power too. Hence my preferences changed.

Big block is king.

Sorry I just got confused by this. I just assumed since you said revving high that you meant to make power out of a big inch small block.... I shouldn't have assumed. My fault haha. But if you got all the good stuff than I don't see why revving would be a problem. But then again I haven't read much into the GEN I big cube small blocks..

The reason you see more power out of small blocks is you can get a bangin set of heads and a nice rotating assembly for like 2 grand. The heads alone on a BBC are going to set you back 2 grand for a set of nice Darts or Brodix or something similar, and you can spend a lot more than that. Not many people have the scratch to drop to build a worked big block for a toy or a daily driver. And pistons, rods, lifters, cams, intakes, headers, everything is more expensive for big blocks. If you have the money to spend and you want to spend it big blocks will stomp small blocks... But your bang for the buck is still a small block.

And who cares if big blocks don't scream? 5,500 is stock valve train 454 territory and with upgraded rod bolts and better valve train, and even better a forged rotating assembly there's no reason why a big block can't do 6,500 or even 7,000 or more and survive. There's a rule of thumb that you should never exceed a piston speed of 5,000 feet per minute or your engine won't have much of a serice life... With that in mind a 454 can do 7500rpm without exceeding that limit and a 455 can do a little over 7,000 as long as your rotating assembly can hold together. Of course there's no reason to do that unless you've got a race car and are more worried about winning than next time your engine will need a rebuild.

But RPM's aren't that important anyway, you can easily make up for what you don't have in revs with torque and gearing. The whole RPM thing is propaganda from the import scene... Who cares if your honda does 9,000 rpms it only has 120 horsepower and 80ft/lbs of torque my diesel pickup can beat it and it only revs to 4,500 rpm but it makes 450ft/lbs at 1,500 rpms and a measely 225hp at 3,000 but it's enough to beat a civic with ease. :twisted:

dan2286 said:
454muscle said:
megaladon6 said:
yeah, with the emissions programming still in the ECU you could do better with a carb, but there's no way EFI will be less power at "full" tune.
That doesn't make sense to me. EFI is supposedly superior to a mechanically operated air/fuel intake, because it is electronically receiving input before putting out the fuel jet. My crate motor puts out 25 more HP with EFI than the carburated version.

I think he meant with the stock tune on the pcm, the engine will not put out nearly as much power as a computer tuned with no worry about emissions requirements.

yes and no. The reason there is less power stock is the factory tune has a lot more to give in timing and fuel at open loop WOT, or as GM calls it PE (power enrichment) mode. Has nothing to do with emissions, but more as a safety measure for engine durability and reliablity. Which doesn't make sense because thats why the knock sensor is there.

-83MONTESS- said:
fatso86 said:
yea the 5.3 is better 5.7... that what everyone tells me when they being there trucks in my dads garage..
No the 5.7 LS1 has more power. I think your thinking of the Vortec 5300 and the Vortec 5700.

for trucks fatso is correct. 5.7 tbi/l31 is generally a workhorse not a great engine to make power with, ls1 never came in trucks

papabearxl said:
I've got an LQ4 (6.0L LS motor in my SIerra 2500), and in stock form in this heavy truck (and after buying the truck I really am not satisfied with the truck, so this isn't a "praise my truck it's got an LS in it" post), it does pulls alright....in a considerably lighter car I am sure it would do great.....

papa, that 2500 isn't going anywhere fast without a duramax with 1000 tq 8)

i think if you have to get your engine to rev to 7000rpm before you are happy with the hp numbers... its time to find a motor with a lil more torque....REV is good with lil small engine that have no power to start with.....like 4 bangers

custom442 said:
papabearxl said:
I've got an LQ4 (6.0L LS motor in my SIerra 2500), and in stock form in this heavy truck (and after buying the truck I really am not satisfied with the truck, so this isn't a "praise my truck it's got an LS in it" post), it does pulls alright....in a considerably lighter car I am sure it would do great.....

papa, that 2500 isn't going anywhere fast without a duramax with 1000 tq 8)
Yeah, you ain't telling me nothing! LOL
:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor