big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
well heres another sbc that was underated, i have 1 on my floor now, the 302 chev, right from factory she screamed like a baby with a loaded diaper, made power right through
i had this motor in an elky a few years back, 13 to 1 pistons, camel bump heads, huge crane came solid, and that motor destroyed alot of dreams, lol including mine when she split the 400 tubo down the middle.
they claimed this motor made 300 horse, but that was wrong, i dont know exactly what it made but it was alot higher then the 300 they say.

Buford T. JuSStice said:
No but seriously, Pontiac motors are probably the best all around motors GM ever made. One size block for just about most if not all of their V8's, the only difference in displacement was bore and stroke. Damn things are nearly bullet proof if built up the right way, and are absolute torque monsters beat out only by Buicks and Cadillacs.

About time somebody was talking sense here! :lol:

In the end it's still the purpose of the car and what engine it's best suited for. Really, who wants to rev a street car to 7G's?

You might be able to do that if you live in the sticks, but in a city/urban environment forget it. Too many stoplights, people and the long arm of the law! Track is a different story.

I don't want to have to rev my engine to get moving.

CAPERKEV said:
split the 400 tubo down the middle.

I have to wave the bullshit flag on that one. You know what makes a TH400 so strong, heavy and horsepower robbing? The center support is cast iron!

I don't care how a 302 is built, it will never have the torque of a STOCK 500cu Caddy engine. Those aren't even fragging TH400's.

454muscle said:
CAPERKEV said:
so while that big block is chugging at 4900,
Yeah, mine always chugs at 4900 RPM. I hate it when that happens....
bbc_676.jpg

larryo454 said:
but you need to think that what ever you do to a small block you can do the same to the big block and there is no replacement for displacement this is true.

Why yes, yes this is true.
Man that must suck for ya :rofl:

G-Body_Vet said:
CAPERKEV said:
split the 400 tubo down the middle.

I have to wave the bullshit flag on that one. You know what makes a TH400 so strong, heavy and horsepower robbing? The center support is cast iron!

I don't care how a 302 is built, it will never have the torque of a STOCK 500cu Caddy engine. Those aren't even fragging TH400's.

I ran a 74 GP with a built Pontiac 400 with the stock 400 transmission and that transmission put up with anything I threw at it and never failed.....and your right, HP doesn't break parts...torque does

LOL theres no way your (High Reving) 302 has the power to break 400 turbo... and if you did happen to break a 400 you might has well get a new engine cause your (302) is junk now... 400 is used for engine that have aleast 400lbs of torque...

G-Body_Vet said:
About time somebody was talking sense here! :lol:
I try my best :lol: Like I said, Poncho's are probably the best all around motors. If I'm not mistaken, the best way to compare the BOP engines is to look at a common size between them, which was their 455. Pontiac motors have a Nearly-Square Stroke (cylinder angle vs stroke length looks like a square from the front, meaning Bore and Stroke are relatively balanced) where the Buick is over-square (shorter stroke, bigger bore) and Oldsmobile is Under-Square (longer stroke, smaller bore) which is why the Buick made the most Torque, and Pontiac was close behind. The Achilles heel of the Buick was that it had a tendency to cook the oil inside the journals due to the thin webbing between the cylinders creating so much heat so quickly. Caused a lot of problems... however, Pontiac motors are (as I said) nearly bullet proof.

G-Body_Vet said:
In the end it's still the purpose of the car and what engine it's best suited for. Really, who wants to rev a street car to 7G's?
Ricer kids who own Honda's, Mazda's and Mitsubishi's. The only time those cars produce any power is when they're revving at 6-7 grand. Not that the power it's producing at those engine speeds are anything to brag about, but the cars are light so it makes up for it :lol:

G-Body_Vet said:
I don't want to have to rev my engine to get moving.
You'll never have to do that with a big block. Big Blocks typically have a higher peak torque than they do peak horsepower, and most never see engine speeds over 6,000 RPM. Speaking in my realm of knowledge, which is Pontiac motors, most of them produce that peak torque (sometimes upwards of 500+ft.lbs) right around 2,000-2,500 RPM and peak horse power around 4,000-5,500 RPM and red-line around 6,500 unless it's a race built motor designed to tolerate more RPM.

pontiacgp said:
larryo454 said:
CAPERKEV said:
oh yeah, 7800 rev, yep like i said 7800, the crane cam was a 575 i think solid cam, she made power from 3500 to 7800 check the old fireball cam specs if they still around, an also check a vic jr intake, single plane high rise, whats the power range on that thing, 3300 to 8000??? or something like that, check the stuff before you doubt it, jus saying is all

Hay pal so does my 461bbc i shift a 7800,But my solid roller cam make power at 4500 to 7800rpms, but you need to think that what ever you do to a small block you can do the same to the big block and there is no replacement for displacement this is true.

you must have some heavy springs on those valves to keep them from floating and it must sound sweet at 7800

Yes my valve spring are very heavy it is a set of Hendrick 1.550 with over 450lbs open with a silly LSM cam .714 lift and with 280sh duration @.050 LOL i don't have a radio in my car it is under the hood this is the best high you are ever going to have.

I've been doing the car thing for well over 40 years, a couple of points with nobody particular in mind, just observations;
1. Big block Chevy engines can and do rev like hell with the right cam and heads, my 540 boat motors would turn 6500 for an hour at a time, the one in my jet boat would run past 7500.
2. Small blocks do like to rev, but the 307 Chevy was among the poorest of the SBC's for revving or performance period, the 302 was 10 x better.
3. I love Pontiacs and with modern parts are great performance engines, but like Olds and Buick, it's gonna cost you.
4. In today's world, there is no V8 that can make the power at the weight and cost of the LSx motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor