big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGG BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCKKKKKKKKKKKK PONTIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC

I would assume the $75 "cam upgrade" would be on top of what they are already charging for a cam. They probably aren't saying you can get a upgraded camshaft for $75 :idea:

That really isn't a bad price for a rebuild on a 455 Olds at all 8) I say go for it :!: Does that include assembly :?:

fatso86 said:
what are the pros and cons of big block over a small block
just trying to get idea what i would like to rebuilding my 455 olds BB or my 350 chevy SB
...or option three...SBO 350~!!! Small block size with big block torque! Sorry....I'll shut up now... 8)

I'd be real leary of anyone saying they'll rebuild an engine for just $1600. You need to find out EXACTLY what your getting.

I had $800-$1000 in machine work alone on my engine.

For $1600 it sounds like they are planning reusing a lot of parts.

bill said:
fatso86 said:
what are the pros and cons of big block over a small block
just trying to get idea what i would like to rebuilding my 455 olds BB or my 350 chevy SB
...or option three...SBO 350~!!! Small block size with big block torque! Sorry....I'll shut up now... 8)

Haha, you haven't driven a big block have you. 😉

actually...I have...several, my sx had a 455... True, the 455 has monster torque...but when comparing a stock sbo to a stock sbc, theres quite a diff to me.

a 455 with a lot of machine work and a ground down crank may be much more expensive to build than an bore/hone and bearing, simple job on the 350. And vice versa.

For example if you're going to spend an extra 1000-1500$ or something on one engine/heads you might as well build the other engine.

edit:
fatso86 said:
my local shop said for $1300-$1600 they will completely rebuild my 1971 455 olds but have to pay for the cam ungrade...$75
Uh how can they quote you a price without taking a look at your engine???

455-rebuild kit 610.00 (summit) cam and intake-400 (summit) machine work (depending on the condition of the crank) 1000-1500. So for around 2500 you could have a torque monster 455 that produces around 350 hp and 500 ft pnds of torque and it's just about the same price for the 350 olds as well.

350 chev- rebuild kit 501.00 (summit) cam and intake-400 (summit) machine work 1000-1500. So for around 2500 you could get a 350 chevy that produces around 300 hp and 250 ft pnds of torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor