big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is clearly only one thing better sounding than a big block.... that is the small bock chevy. you have to take in consideration what the car is being used for. if you r racin it and you dont have a cage and you want your doors to shut in a couple of years stick with the small block. it your gonna limit the race use or have a cage run the big block and a slightly taller gear. just my opinion

It sounds like that rough estimate they gave you is a basic rebuild. I'm getting ready to drop off my block and these were the prices they shot me for basic work. Since they haven't seen it yet, an accurate estimate can't be given.

$135 Clean, mag check, remove cam bearings
$180 to line hone if need be
$200 to turn crank if needed, chamfer oil holes & polish, check for straightness
$175-$225 to balance rotating assembly (price depending on weight matching of rods & pistons)
$280 to bore, hone w/torque plate and deck the block

I've already completely disassembled the block and removed the oil galley plugs and freeze plugs too.

Keep in mind this doesn't even include parts either. My heads are already done and I have about $1100 alone in them. They aren't exactly stock either.

Cam will be $140
Rods will be $386
Pistons will be $445
Still need new balancer, flexplate, bearings, lifters, push rods, rockers, gaskets, oil pump, fuel pump, water pump, etc.

Once you get away from sbc's, you gotta pay to play. On the upside, Olds engines have a good design and great metallurgy. Pontiac & Buick next, and then Chevy having the weaker castings and most low tech design. No offense Chevy guys, that came straight from a machinist with over 20 years or experience. He's a Packard guy too.

the cam ungrade is 1970 442 cam...they are going to add $75 on the price of the stock cam
i going to use a 1970 rebuild kit ....
they said it is going to be $1672.47 for the rebuild...
they said it will take three to four weeks....

:shock:
That is crazy exspensive for the machine work. I had my SBC done a couple of months ago, it was only $300 at our machine shop 8) That included bore and "powerstroke" hone, recondition rods, clean/check, install cam bearings/freeze plugs, press piston pin, surface deck. I doubt that they mark it up $700 for a non-employee, maybe they do :roll:

My build:
Pistons $125
Crank $130
Machine Shop $300
Premium Rebuild Kit (moly rings) $100
Heads/Cam $800
Distributor $115
Oil/Valve Covers $40
Intake $40
Quick Fuel SS-750 FREE
Spectre Intake/filters $200
Torque Convertor $220
Headers $130
WaterPump/Alternator/Starter $100

RITTER said:
:shock:
That is crazy exspensive for the machine work.

Maybe I need to move then! That's actually a good deal compared to other places I checked out. Then again, the cost of living up here is insane compared to NC. I was stationed in New River before so I know!

yall have good prices around your area, it costs 200$ here to have a block hot tanked and magnafluxed with heads cleaned/magnafluxed/pressure checked

yea thats why i think the small block chevy is better. it gives u good power and it dont cost ur arm leg and left nut to get machine worked and built like the 455 does

jacobdavis1979 said:
yea thats why i think the small block chevy is better. it gives u good power and it dont cost ur arm leg and left nut to get machine worked and built like the 455 does
But at the end of the day its a BIG BLOCK! :mrgreen:

-83MONTESS- said:
jacobdavis1979 said:
But at the end of the day its a BIG BLOCK! :mrgreen:

lol i guess so. but i love my small block

rccktmn2 said:
455-rebuild kit 610.00 (summit) cam and intake-400 (summit) machine work (depending on the condition of the crank) 1000-1500. So for around 2500 you could have a torque monster 455 that produces around 350 hp and 500 ft pnds of torque and it's just about the same price for the 350 olds as well.

350 chev- rebuild kit 501.00 (summit) cam and intake-400 (summit) machine work 1000-1500. So for around 2500 you could get a 350 chevy that produces around 300 hp and 250 ft pnds of torque.

Lol, only if you don't know what your doing. Guarantee I can make more torque than that with 2500, closer to 400lb/ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor