big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
jacobdavis1979 said:
yea thats why i think the small block chevy is better. it gives u good power and it dont cost ur arm leg and left nut to get machine worked and built like the 455 does

it would cost you an arm and a leg if you ever built it to get the torque you get with a stock big block

pontiacgp said:
jacobdavis1979 said:
yea thats why i think the small block chevy is better. it gives u good power and it dont cost ur arm leg and left nut to get machine worked and built like the 455 does

it would cost you an arm and a leg if you ever built it to get the torque you get with a stock big block

I agree If you want torque bb is the way to go. If your plan is cheap and easy along with a motor that takes beating after beating SBC all the way. If you want torque build a 400 SBC

A good 406 isn't exactly cheap to build either if you want to get away from the short rods. Stock 400 heads were crap too.

Another consideration of going with a big block is the rest of the drivetrain. I'm going to use a 200-4R but a stock unit won't hold up to 500+ ft lbs of torque. I could use a TH400 but it's heavier, less efficient and I'm stuck using highway gears with a 3 speed.

yea im just going to rebuild my 1971 455 i think i would like all the low end toque tht the olds has.....why waste my time building a 350 chevy to run with a stock big block and thrown rod thought the block at 6500 rpm..i test drove my bobbys 1987 buick regal with a 403 olds with 300hp dynoed..lol it would never stop pulling...until he said 118 mph is fast enough..

if you ask me i would say whats the point of having a big block ? i dont think heavy or making only 350 hp would be the answer build a small block chevy some mechine work a little parts ere and there big hp small block you cant beat it its more easy and cheaper to get parts and the look on there faces when they find out its a small block tearing up the streets it dosent get any better

beanzELCO702 said:
if you ask me i would say whats the point of having a big block ?

Where should I start?
1. Bragging rights
2. Cool factor
3. Nostalgia
4. Torque
5. Something different than a SBC
6. Making power without having to buzz the engine to death
7. Did I say torque?
8. The "holy sh*t response" from passengers
9. Brand loyalty
10. Uniqueness

I was a Chevy man many moons ago :lol: but I reached a point where I wanted to do something different. I got to playing around with B.O.P. and discovered torque.

As for the other small blocks; I'm surprised more people aren't into Buicks too. The SBB 350 makes great torque and weighs about 450lbs. It's also the cheapest bang-for-the-buck swap from a Buick 231.

Early Olds 350's are great engines too. Why pull a 307 for a SBC? Too many people just go with what diehard SBC guys say. With the better parts available today you can build one hell of an engine for the B.O.P.'s too.

If I ever come across a Pontiac 455 SD I think that might tempt me to do something with it....I know it's not a BB but I had a friend with a trans am that came with the 455 SD and that would never run out of torque..

when building big block your not worry about hp nums its the torque that is important..when you are in front driving ur 350 chevy like b*tch and i think lets show this punk what real power is and step down on my big block i will come idleing pass you.....

fatso86 said:
when building big block your not worry about hp nums its the torque that is important..when you are in front driving ur 350 chevy like b*tch and i think lets show this punk what real power is and step down on my big block i will come idleing pass you.....
Woa easy there Seabiscuit! I wouldnt go that far . . .

Either way either one has to be built to truly run. And its not about the motor alone. Its about the entire setup. You can have a big block but if your parts arent in line to go with your trans, rear end then it doesnt matter if you have a big block or small block. And its $40 around here to get your block hot tanked and checked for cracks. My old buick big block was a straight beast but the work involved to get it to fit right left me wishing in the end that I had kept my sbc and turboed it, but man did that car fly.

I personally prefer big block just to say I have something different but with my new project I am sticking with sbc for a less stressful build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor