big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a comprably FAST reliable docile & fun street car a well done big block wins hands down & car lengths. Once you have experienced a well set up big block car the only reason to do a small block car is for numbers matching kind of thing or in the case of the sbc because its cheaper readily available & commonly known. As is the aftermarket for it.

dogshit said:
For a comprably FAST reliable docile & fun street car a well done big block wins hands down & car lengths. Once you have experienced a well set up big block car the only reason to do a small block car is for numbers matching kind of thing or in the case of the sbc because its cheaper readily available & commonly known. As is the aftermarket for it.

Ah, but you forgot about forced induction. You should know better, lol.

Well if your ever in vegas let me know so I can show.you. What I mean. In a better way so that you understand. And I will also show you the wow factor. When everybody finds out its sbc. That blew your doors off. And left you with 3rd degree asphalt burns lol 😀

lol...THE BIG BLOCK WINS....i dont want to spend all that money rebuilding small block just to find out its not got the power i want....then when i want more power.... WAIT lets supercharge this thing lol there goes few more $$$$...Yes we know sometimes small blocks can out run BIG BLOCKS but for how long... your spend about 3x as much as a BIG BLOCK

if someone offered a supercharged 350 or a n/a 350 for the same price and running well, which would you take. Thats like comparing a big block to small block

i would stay with the bbo just for the simple fact it will make more power in the long run and there tourque monsters but im just a olds guy running them now is just different there becoming rare everyone runs chevys now days :blam:

at a mild power level which seems to be the trend here, you can make similar power with either or. the sbc parts are soooo much cheaper and easier to find. i think that it makes a lot more sense to build a sbc as the aftermarket is huge, its an extremely convenient swap, and it does keep some weight off the front of the car. you can buy a whole top end kit for a sbc thatll make 400 hp, with similar torque for $1500! my buddy has a 455 powered cutlass with a cam/spring upgrade, mildly ported heads, modded Q-jet and a freshly re-built bottom end. does it feel faster than it is? YES!!! but my 355 aluminum headed sbc (which was built for less than $4500, including machine work) beat his car so bad, its not even funny. his car made 266 hp/ 377 ft lbs to the wheels, my car made 342 hp/ 340 ft lbs to the wheels. maaaaybbe i have a thousand more into my engine. but also 100 cubic inches smaller. SBC gets my vote anyday!

u guys all arguin about whats better the small block or big block. if u think about it they both have their flaws and have their advantages over eachother. sure u get big torque with ur big block and big hp but half the time u run them past the 5000 rpm mark and what happens u blow it up. back when i was in school everyone with there big block did nothin but brag all the time. i told them to try braggin to my 350 and see what its got ot say about it. they always gave me crap about the small block but of course they would hot rod there big block and blow them up a month later tryin to push them to far but of course my 350 was still goin haha out run me now even though they couldnt before.

anyway storys aside i prefer the small block for many reasons.
Good power
The advantage of higher rpms
More budget friendly on the wallet
Better GAS MILAGE!!!
Easier to fit under the hood

The list goes on Btw what does NASCAR run? small blocks lol :rofl:
And mileybus 350 is pushin about 400 horse and 450 ft pounds of torque so torque isnt a problem

jacobdavis1979 said:
u guys all arguin about whats better the small block or big block. if u think about it they both have their flaws and have their advantages over eachother. sure u get big torque with ur big block and big hp but half the time u run them past the 5000 rpm mark and what happens u blow it up. back when i was in school everyone with there big block did nothin but brag all the time. i told them to try braggin to my 350 and see what its got ot say about it. they always gave me crap about the small block but of course they would hot rod there big block and blow them up a month later tryin to push them to far but of course my 350 was still goin haha out run me now even though they couldnt before.

anyway storys aside i prefer the small block for many reasons.
Good power
The advantage of higher rpms
More budget friendly on the wallet
Better GAS MILAGE!!!
Easier to fit under the hood

The list goes on Btw what does NASCAR run? small blocks lol :rofl:
And mileybus 350 is pushin about 400 horse and 450 ft pounds of torque so torque isnt a problem

lol ya NASCAR does run a type of small block but do the block and all the gear be used for the full year or just once???????

O by the way one of my BBC is 12years old with $3500 worth of valve train gear in it that i built and i shift at 8500rpm why does it not pop??? Because it is a match combo, with all peddle to the metal no bottle or hair dryer on it.This b*tch from big block to small block is a never ending story but it all counts on how big your bank book is.We all like tobe cheep in what ever we do but some times you need to spend money to keep it alive.

jacobdavis1979 said:
Btw what does NASCAR run? small blocks lol :rofl:

nascar needs top end only and even weight distribution. big blocks can come with 450+ torque stock.

I agree though the problem with the big block is if it revs to 5500 and a small block is making good low end peak torque around 3000 and can rev to around 7500 if built properly, the big block gets owned on the street. its different on the 1320

... really though its all how the car is geared so the size of the engine is somewhat irrelevant. When my heavy 4.3 truck with 3.90's was stock it was whipping up on rustangs with 4.6's

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor