big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
RITTER said:
But how many people drive their car around at 7500 RPM on the street :roll:
x2! High RPMs are overrated on the street IMO. From light to light torque wins and a big block has some torque!
Remember: HORSEPOWER SELLS ENGINES, TORQUE WINS RACES!

-83MONTESS- said:

this is bullshit, if it were true everyone would be racing diesels.

custom442 said:
-83MONTESS- said:

this is bullshit, if it were true everyone would be racing diesels.
Does horsepower get you off the line?????

jrm81bu said:
pontiacgp said:
these big blocks don't have a problem with high revs .....

super_modified.jpg

Call me crazy but that looks like a small block to me.

it's a big block...

Other than the monster wing on top, the most noticeable feature of a Supermodified is the engine placement. Hanging precariously on the left side of the car is a fuel-injected, methanol-burning 470ci Chevy big-block. These motors feature intake stacks that can be raised or lowered to fine-tune torque. Taller stacks equal more torque. On a short track, teams will run the taller stacks to gain more torque and better drive off the corners. The stacks will be lowered on bigger tracks, reducing torque and gaining straightaway speed.

With the engine offset so far to the inside, a Super can carry up to 67 percent of its total weight on the left side of the car. All the weight on the inside greatly increases the cornering speed and handling capabilities of the Super.

With a compression ratio of 17:1, a Supermodified engine will easily make over 800 hp. All of those ponies bolted onto a 1,850-pound race car add up to an insane power-to-weight ratio. In fact, when the West Coast Super contingent ran at Phoenix International Raceway several years ago, the four fastest Supers would have easily qualified for the IRL race being held the same weekend.

-83MONTESS- said:
Does horsepower get you off the line?????

don't need to get off the line that quickly unless running in some professional class, there are slow launching 4cyl cars running 9's and 10's because of top end power + light weight. Neither is better or worse its just a different way of going about the same result.

hard launches on the street will end up in a tree or 10 lengths behind the car in the next lane

pontiacgp said:
jrm81bu said:
pontiacgp said:
these big blocks don't have a problem with high revs .....

super_modified.jpg

Call me crazy but that looks like a small block to me.

it's a big block...

It's not a great picture but when i zoom in those center primary tubes look like they are right beside each other instead of being evenly spaced.

I was gonna stay out of this.....but can't :lol:

You have to look at the whole car as a package before you decide what engine to go with. Plus, how cheap you are :wink:

Me, i'm a cheap b*st*rd. When I was building the motor for my bracket Firebird, I wanted to go fast, cheap and easy.

455 olds.

Standard bore, stock crank, stock rods, used parts- cheap.

Best run- 11.63 @113 $7000 total investment (car, engine, trans, rear, paint--everything)

BILD0696.jpg

lets assume for even a minute that torque and horsepower actually mattered in this debate... at 10 bucks a gallon, no amount of power can justify.....

but imagine

OPENING your hood to allow the followers that ensue to bask in the light of your awesome and they will be like "TIMMY YOUR ENGINE ARE SO LARGEZZ" and you will be like always smooth..... always

and then olivia wilde will come out of nowhere and have a ridiculous amount of sex with you.....

so lets pretend for even a second that power and torque matter.... but if they did youd have all of it..... and olivia wilde

olivia-wilde-cowboys-and-aliens.jpg

i felt that that was necessary

Black Sheep said:
I was gonna stay out of this.....but can't :lol:

...Me, i'm a cheap b*st*rd.

haha no one can stay out of it, we all want to not post about this but then thats why we waste time on a forum cuz there's not enough car nerds out there for us to talk to

I agree with the cheap+fast, big block rules in that department. Could probably build a whole car for 1000$ that runs 12's with any old running big block

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor