big block vs small block

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was a 455 Pontiac I'd be all over it... The 400 isn't as interesting to me.

And the reason I'm not huge on the idea is I know a guy with a Trans Am with a 455 that runs 10.20's and the engine puts out over 650 hp, but he told me the engine cost close to 13 grand. A chevy costs a lot less than that to get that kind of power.

kornball426 said:
If it was a 455 Pontiac I'd be all over it... The 400 isn't as interesting to me.

Pretty sure your can bore out a Pontiac 400 to 455 with no issues. could be wrong.

They make 455 stroker kits for the 400's 3" mains. The 400's are no slouch if you know what you're doing.

G-Body_Vet said:
They make 455 stroker kits for the 400's 3" mains. The 400's are no slouch if you know what you're doing.

for the 400 in my 74 Grand Prix all I did was put a cam in it that wasn't anything wild and some pistons, a set of headers with 2.5" exhaust and it was no slouch on the take off even with 2.78 gears with a 400 transmission ....on the highway I got clocked at 142 mph and cruising at 70 mph I'd get 20 mpg

Well lets put it this way... The motor is a 68 Lemans motor which was rebuilt my friend who has it wants I think five hundred bucks for it he says he only drove it about 5,000 miles maybe less before he pulled it to disassemble and restore the Lemans but now he's gradually parting out the car, he sold the muncie 4 speed from it along with a brand new centerforce clutch and he sold the interior out of it and a bunch of other stuff. He's says the motor runs absolutely flawless and is strong, but when I asked him if he thought it would be a match for my firebirds' 355 chevy he said "no way in hell".

So yeah, there's that... He's driven both his car and my car I never drove the Le Mans before he took it apart so I'll take his word for it. But he says the motor is strong.

I have no doubt they're a good motor, and I've seen his 455 trans am do wheelies so I know Pontiacs can have balls. I'm just reluctant to pull a motor for a slower motor, and the money to bring it up to the same spec is outrageous compared to a Chevy. :lol:

-83MONTESS- said:
That 4 door guy said:
id pick a pontiac 400 or a 454 over a ls any day.
Whyyyy????

the very first car i ever had the joy of help restoring was a 67 gto. of course had the 400. we put new heads, new pistons, intake, and big carb on her. put a small cage, cragars all way around. and a set of m/t. i can honestly say that gto is still running, still snappin the front end up, and still make damn good et to this day. pontiac did a damn good job with the 400. if i could find a good one for the right price id drop one in my cutlass in a effin heart beat. and as for the 454, its a sentimental thing. my grandpa always had a 454 in his trucks. thats all i knew growin up. hell his 32 roadster had a supercharged 454. next in line is the 350 for me. thats all ive ever had. im not judgin any ones choice. i just like my own better. 8)

That 4 door guy said:
-83MONTESS- said:
That 4 door guy said:
id pick a pontiac 400 or a 454 over a ls any day.
Whyyyy????

the very first car i ever had the joy of help restoring was a 67 gto. of course had the 400. we put new heads, new pistons, intake, and big carb on her. put a small cage, cragars all way around. and a set of m/t. i can honestly say that gto is still running, still snappin the front end up, and still make damn good et to this day. pontiac did a damn good job with the 400. if i could find a good one for the right price id drop one in my cutlass in a effin heart beat. and as for the 454, its a sentimental thing. my grandpa always had a 454 in his trucks. thats all i knew growin up. hell his 32 roadster had a supercharged 454. next in line is the 350 for me. thats all ive ever had. im not judgin any ones choice. i just like my own better. 8)
I understand what your saying but if you havent had any experience with an LS engine, im sure you would change your mind if you did :shock:

and thats where the ignorance plays in. i had a 01 ws6. the guy i bout it off of pulled his ls1 so i bought it as a roller. made it a 383 myself. so no i have not experienced any ls. but i dont plan on gettin my hands on 1 anytime soon. that is of course unless i hit the lotto and get my murdered out c5 z06 :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor