Build Thread: '87 442 . . . Time to turn and stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I would recommend the frame braces that weld in too. I just installed the upper and lower ones on my frame.
Lowers
IMG_20160225_203642789_zpsfxqx3nzi.jpg

Uppers
IMG_20160213_115347179_zpsd9r7npqn.jpg

Wow, nice work! How much power are you trying to get to the ground?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Right now only 350, plans call for much more in the future and it's much easier to do when the bare frame is upside down. I think the whole kit was $120... well worth it IMO

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, the springs and shocks are here! :banana:

IMG_0398.JPG

Lower CAs and steering rebuild kit are on the way from Spohn. Haven't heard a peep out of UMI yet on my upper CAs but the order said "will ship in 3-5 days" two days ago.

This should finally get me to stop being pissed at the electric antenna swap so I can finally get that done and start doing something worthwhile!

For those that haven't done it . . . it is beyond ridiculous. After finally getting the PS fender loose to gain access, the only bolt holding it on got put in "from the engine compartment side" and no matter how many extensions and wiggle sockets you try you cannot get on it. Have to cut the bolt off, drill it out, and put the new one through from the outside. A small access panel in the wheel well with 2 plastic hinge pins on one end and one screw on the other . . . 15 minute job. But, I got my Dremel out a while ago and installed a cutter bit so hopefully tomorrow the antenna problem will get better . . .
:blam::doh:

Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Warning . . . this post contains substantial parts p*rn!

Let's get BUSY! Anxious to dive in this weekend . . . :banana:

More parts arrived today. Now have upper/lower front control arms and the steering assy rebuild kit. These Spohn lowers are built REALLY well . . . not that UMI's aren't built well too. But, even with UMI's July 4th discount, Spohn's discount was more. I think they will work!

IMG_0420.JPG

And, now, thanks to noticeable discounts on UMI stuff at Summit and 18 months no interest, I have ordered:

UMI boxed lower rear poly/roto control arms along with a set of UMI lowering brackets,

UPI-3041-B_xl.jpg

upi-3018b_xl.jpg

UMI adjustable upper poly/roto control arms with new poly rear end bushings,

UPI-3037-B_xl.jpg

UPI-3000-B_xl.jpg

UMI control arm reinforcement braces,

UPI-3028-B_xl.jpg

AND their pro-touring axle to chassis mount rear sway bar [unplanned addition $429 on sale for $386], I will continue using my F41 up front for now . . .

upi-3044-275-b_xl.jpg

along with the Wilwood 12" front disk kit. I want to add disks in back too but will do that later on.

brake_kit_140-12297-med-lg.jpg

I actually have the money set aside to do this but it is hard to turn down 18 months no interest [as long as you stay on top of it and make sure it is paid in full no later than month 17!!!!] Yeah, I like the "looks" of the drilled and slotted rotors better too but $100 more for rotors that are structurally weaker?
Nope . . . :doh:

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a pic of the car now?
I installed those UMI rear frame connectors and had to notch my brand new Pypes mufflers. Hopefully you have more room than I did. On their site they have pics of the Green Machine and those mufflers go straight back, almost touching the drive shaft.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
No pics yet. Sorry. I was going to pull it out, clean it good, and snap some pics when I got done with the electric antenna swap but, since the PS front wheel is already off and the car is on a jack stand from that project from hell, I think I will just raise the other side, take off that wheel, and dive in to the front end rebuild.

I will snap some before pics of that though before I tear everything apart.

Well, here is a teaser photo [only digital one I have] showing the [likely to change soon] 245/60/15 BFGs on stock SSIIIs.
IMG_0366.JPG

Last edited:

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Oh, BTW, I have Magnaflow 5x11x22 mufflers on a Torque Tech all 2 1/2" mandrel bent system coming from my WZs that I had to tuck pretty tight against the shaft to get them to fit. I'll snap some pics of that too this weekend.

Note to self: Take some freakin' pics already!

EDIT: I forgot that I ordered the shock tower brace and a rear hitch bracket to tie the rear frame rails together.

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Rear hitch bracket?

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Yeah, I guess "front" hitch bracket doesn't make much sense, huh?

Hitch mount is just a "cheap date" way to beef up the rear frame rails from what I have read anyway.

cht-12005_xl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor