Bullet Mirrors vs Sport Mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Anybody replaced the bullet mirrors with the sport mirrors? (81elky) I pulled some off a Caprice but after looking inside my door it looks like there's a plaque that's not gonna allow the length of the mirror studs to clear. Right where the sport mirror is supposed to be mounted (closer to front of door) there is a molding that comes out a bit and I know the mirror studs wont reach past that. any suggestions?

IMG_20180603_163201_zpst4dmvxbw.jpg

IMG_20180603_163205_zpsgutsvzq6.jpg

IMG_20180603_163221_zpsbzheefbr.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Had to do it on a Camino once, use a hole saw to cut access holes for the socket to tighten them.

Way I did it was to lay out location, use the gasket as a guide, drill mount holes with a long bit. Then used the mount stud holes as pilot holes for the hole saw

The later Caminos (86/87) had a notch out of the inner reinforcement to allow access to the mounting studs/nuts...earlier ones have the notch further back for the traditional (sport or chrome) mirrors.

Be forewarned, tough to get a stiffener in there to prevent doorskin cracking, as I recall. OE installations have a backing plate/stiffener on the inside

Personally don't care for those big clunky mirrors, but everybody has their likes/dislikes.

Reactions: 1 user

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
There should be a recessed area further up the door where the mirror will mount. I changed a pair of 78 Malibu doors to use on my 86 El Camino years ago. Keep in mind the mirror moves up to the top body line and requires the proper base plate gasket. While I no longer have the doors I do have a picture of where they should mount.
P1011112.JPG P1011102.JPG P1011111.JPG
When I started to rework the doors to accept these mirrors on my 79 Monte Carlo I made a backing spacer out of sheet steel and two 5/16 nuts that served to keep the door from being sucked in when the mirror was tightened. It took some time but worked really well.
P1011279.JPG P1011222.JPG
Hope this helps!
Bob S.

Reactions: 2 users

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Anybody have a pic of doorskin cracking due to lack of backplate? I'm not sure how I'm gonna fit a holesaw to the inside of the door.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

• Creative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor