Calling all electrical geniuses- W-body RKE Wiring Hook-up 1985 G47 Olds Setup Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Bear with me please. I'm not an electrician, but I can usually maneuver the G-body circuits fairly well. I would like to keep this as simple as I can make it.

GOAL: Add the W-body RKE module in a inconspicuous spot (above the glovebox high under the dash most likely) and use the key fobs to lock and unlock both locks at the same time, and flash the park/tails/markers when locks cycle either lock or unlock. Also, to be able to retain full functionality of the door mounted switches. Basically, if it weren't for the key fob, you'd never know the car had RKE.

Here's some diagrams from the GM 85 Olds Electrical Service Manuals, except where noted.

85 G47 power door lock diagram.JPG

RKE Module Wiring.gif

Light Green Wire: Will be hooked 12 volt supply
Black Wire, White tracer: Ignore this wire. The factory system uses this to operate the power trunk from the interior button. Ours will still work regardless.
Pink wire: Ignore this wire. This is an ignition wire I think the factory uses to disable RKE while the ignition is on and shut off the dome lamp. We don't need it.
Orange Wire Will be hooked to 12 volt supply
Dark Blue wire: Ignore. All this wire does is turn on the dome lamp for a period of time when you press the unlock button. The dome lamp is going to turn on when you open the door, so I don't see the point. If someone wants to go all out, I think it would be neat to wire this to a relay that turns on the headlamps or park lamps or whatever you wanted so the car would have an illuminated entry like new cars do. I just left it alone. Maybe someday.
Grey Wire: This will be wired to the trunk release actuator(if applicable).
Black Wire: This will be hooked to ground.
Tan Wire: This will be hooked to the left door lock actuator wire near door lock relay
White Wire This will be hooked to the unlock wire at the door lock relay
Light blue wire: This will be hooked to the lock wire a the door lock relay.

Headlamp switch details:

85 G47 headlamp switch diagram.JPG

Potential relay idea. I drew this in Paint real fast. The relays would simply cycle with the lock or unlock button to flash the lights. I think. That's the idea anyway.
Lights Flash Relay.jpg

RKE module wiring diagram and wire by wire hook up description credit to: http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=975362#Post975362

All this looks fairly straightforward. My idea is to add RKE to my 85 442. One thing I haven't found out yet is if the Dark Blue wire for the interior lamps is just a momentary switch that relies on a constant supply from the timer (from the W-body) to keep the light lit? Or does it stay closed for a minute or two keeping the dome light lit for a while? If it's just momentary as you click the lock/unlock button, I'd be all for that as I could get away with just one relay to flash the lights. Otherwise, I'm likely going to have to wire in a couple relays to the lock and unlock circuits. Sad part is it will flash EVERY light on the car but the headlights/interior dome lights.

I have a new GM VKE 1000 kit I could use, but the instructions aren't all that user friendly, and this W-body module seems very easy in comparison.

On the Cutlass, the headlamp switch gets fuse fed from an orange wire (taillamp fuse), and the outlet goes to all the marker, turn sig and rear lamps get fed from a brown wire.

I figure if I hooked up a relay or two to bypass the headlamp switch and got momentary signal with the RKE when I pressed the fob lock or unlock, I could get the flashing indicators I seek.

Also, the recommended set up seems to separate the right and left power door lock motors by cutting one of the tan double wires coming out of the car's door lock relay, if you hook it up per the monte carlo site instructions. If I read this right, the schematics then take out the driver side unlock feature from the door mounted switch? The only way to unlock the LH side is via the keyfob. Any wire-biters out there confirm/debunk my wiring diagram-reading skills?

Since I don't care about the single door opening feature by splitting the car's tan wires to the door lock motors, I want to maintain both factory installed switch functions. So I was thinking I could not cut the tan wires from the original relay, simply attach the white and light blue wires to the unlock and lock wires at the relay, and use the tan wire instead to feed the unlock relay to the lamps, and tap off the light blue wire for the lock side and run it to the other relay. Or would I need to hit the unlock button twice to get the doors to unlock? Maybe use the tan wire from RKE for both locks, and tap off that to the lamp relays, and not use the white at all?

This stuff fries my brain.

What do y'all think? Anyone see something I'm missing or need to consider?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Alright, I'll bite. If you don't want the driver door unlock priority, then, yes, the tan will be used instead of the white- connect to the car lt. blue.
FWIW, I always liked the domelight supervision feature, but you bring up a good point about then delay module being needed. Just have to hook it up and test.
The light flash will work, and you don't need 2 relays; just diode isolate the lock/trigger wires. Use a 3A diode with the stripe toward the relay, like these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071DZVDU/?tag=gbody-20 That's for a 10pk; you can get them as cheap as $.35. The problem with it is that you will only get 1 light flash with each cycle of the locks

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I might be missing something but why not just get a keyless entry system

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Lemme just run down to Radio Shack and....oh, wait. :)

Thanks for the explanation. I'm thinking if I sort of understand the diagrams, anyone with electrical skills surely could. Again, I'm not fluent in electricity. No amp readings from my brain. But I see what you mean. I am not familiar with diode applications and diode selection. About the only thing I know about them is they're like a check valve for electricity. Precisely why I'm asking the questions.

I'm dumber than I look. I am guessing I use one relay, wire in 2 diodes (stripe toward relay) to terminal 86, with the tan and light blue wires from the RKE/lock & unlock trigger wires? Single flash is all I would need. Just like to know from a distance that the signal went somewhere if the lights flash.

Make it look kinda like this?

Diode Lights Flash Single Relay.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I might be missing something but why not just get a keyless entry system
This IS a KE system. I have a few of those GM VKE 1000 kits, but good lord, it shows several wiring diagrams for negative or positive triggers, about 40 different ways to hook it up, and it's kind of a mess. And you can add that in with the GM vehicle alarm system kit that I have, and then there's 60 miles of wiring to do, more or less.

The W-body module is fairly straightforward and one little box with the wires hanging out of it already. Just need to terminate and hide the box up in the car somewhere where the fobs can "see" it. The VKE is a bigger box IIRC. I'd have to yank one out and compare. Between the VKE and the W-body module, it's a whole lot simpler to do the module and a relay and a couple of diodes.

Additionally, the light flash thing is something that has to be backfitted to the older cars, unless that dome light wire just kicks in then off on both lock or unlock. I do plan on testing out that dark blue wire to see if it's just momentary or not. I'm thinking it may transfer the dome light power to constant using the auto dimming timer module or whatever the W-bodies used based on the diagram. But maybe not.

Simplicity is what I'm after. Because I'm simple.

Reactions: 1 user

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
I've read through the post on MCSS.com and think the tan wire is fine to be wired in and not have to lose the use of the drivers side switches. This is only based on the last line in his write up that states to test all switches to confirm theyre still working and also that those people that posted they did the same install did not indicate any issues with the switch not working.

As for the dark blue wire, checking for momentary would be my first step as well. I would think there'd be a way to tie this only into the lights you want to flash but I haven't been into the wiring deep enough to see where they split off.

Keep us posted if you do proceed with this and test it out. This is definitely something I'm looking to do in the future.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've read through the post on MCSS.com and think the tan wire is fine to be wired in and not have to lose the use of the drivers side switches. This is only based on the last line in his write up that states to test all switches to confirm theyre still working and also that those people that posted they did the same install did not indicate any issues with the switch not working.
If you don't test everything along the way and when you're done, then you probably shouldn't be doing it. :)

I'm still not seeing where the LH door switch would be able to physically send an unlock signal if you split the unlock tan factory wire and hook up the LH unlock motor wire to the tan RKE wire (right where it duals out of the factory relay). The factory relay would only have the passenger side unlock motor signal. LH unlock signal would only come from the RKE after that. Actually, in that mode, both door unlock signals would only operate the passenger lock to open, but both will lock without issue.

I guess we'll find out. Some day. :)

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The tan and white separation is for driver door priority- push unlock once it only opens the driver door because the tan is tied directly to the actuator. Push the button twice, and it pulses the white to unlock the rest of the doors. The OP doesn't want that feature, so if you hook the tan to the switch unlock, it will unlock both doors on one push of the button.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The tan and white separation is for driver door priority- push unlock once it only opens the driver door because the tan is tied directly to the actuator. Push the button twice, and it pulses the white to unlock the rest of the doors. The OP doesn't want that feature, so if you hook the tan to the switch unlock, it will unlock both doors on one push of the button.
Yaaas!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor