Fast Power Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I finally got around to fixing the slow passenger side power window in my Monte.
I had new motors from Cardone,part # 82-144,they do not come with brackets so you need to re-use the old ones.
I got the new one in relatively rouble free and tried it and could see a difference right away.
Then I put the LMC HD window harness in and it made a big difference also,although for some reason the window only works with the drivers side switch and not the passenger side switch.
All in all I am quite pleased with how the passenger side window goes up and down now.I am putting the Monte away in winter storage this weekend so the drivers side will be on next years "To Do"list.
I also lubed the regulator,track and motor gear real good with some white lithium spray grease,and while I had the door panels off I made sure all the fasteners were tight and I snugged up the pads that hold the window tight.
Guy

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I finally got around to fixing the slow passenger side power window in my Monte.
I had new motors from Cardone,part # 82-144,they do not come with brackets so you need to re-use the old ones.
I got the new one in relatively rouble free and tried it and could see a difference right away.
Then I put the LMC HD window harness in and it made a big difference also,although for some reason the window only works with the drivers side switch and not the passenger side switch.
All in all I am quite pleased with how the passenger side window goes up and down now.I am putting the Monte away in winter storage this weekend so the drivers side will be on next years "To Do"list.
I also lubed the regulator,track and motor gear real good with some white lithium spray grease,and while I had the door panels off I made sure all the fasteners were tight and I snugged up the pads that hold the window tight.
Guy

if the window works with only the drivers side switch and you have power to the passenger side switch that means the wiring is good, the contacts in the passenger switch are either dirty or worn

Last edited:

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
if the window works with only the drivers side switch and you have power to the passenger side switch that means the wiring is good, the contacts in the passenger switch are either dirty or worn

That will be on next years to do list,LOL
Going for one more drive today then its storage time tomorrow...
Guy

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Well I got back to this project today.
I took the passenger door panels off and tried two switches,one the old one and a brand new one from Mikes Montes.
Neither one would power the window up or down,but it still works from the drivers door switch.
I also soldered most of the butt connector conections for a better job.
I have no idea why the passenger door switch will not work,but I was getting frustrated so I put it back together...
Guy

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Well I got back to this project today.
I took the passenger door panels off and tried two switches,one the old one and a brand new one from Mikes Montes.
Neither one would power the window up or down,but it still works from the drivers door switch.
I also soldered most of the butt connector conections for a better job.
I have no idea why the passenger door switch will not work,but I was getting frustrated so I put it back together...
Guy

would say it the problem is probably the pink power wire on the RH switch....

PowerWindows.jpg

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Thanks Steve,but I found that diagram in my shop manual and there is power at the pink wire.
I may be able to strip another switch and connector from a B Body Pontiac Parisienne and try that.
Guy

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You tried 2 switches and you have power so the issue must be in the plug that the switch plugs into. That diagram does not show it but there is a ground that goes to the switch. That could be the problem.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
That diagram does not show it but there is a ground that goes to the switch. That could be the problem.

Thanks Steve,there are two what I thought were un-used terminals in that plug,maybe the ground broke off and I didnt realise it.
I will have a closer look,hopefully today,and I will update you at that time !!
The new motor and LMC harness sure made a big difference in how fast the window goes up and down now,it was dead slow before.
Guy

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
When I had a problem with mine last year I took the plug apart and tried to find new terminals so I could repair the plug. I found the terminals online but they were not available and they are still not available. I ended up heading to the recycling yard to get a "new" plug.

http://www.qualitydist.net/pico-5846pt.html

pico-5846pt-16-14-awg-gm-power-window-and-door-locks-universal-terminals-2965880-5-per-package-5.jpg

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Did you do the HD kit with the auto feature? I bought the setup from a member on the MCSS board and never got around to installing it partially because the seller has continually "forgot" to send me the instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor