Knockin' On Heaven's Door, what to do for a rod knock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Oh, and I didn't get any pictures of it, but in two places on every single piston and cylinder, were faint scratches. I assume it's because I boiled the thing over like 3 times, or was it something else? it's on the thrust face (that the term?) of the piston, where it moves back and forth in the bore.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
That could be from either a backwards piston or an improperly fitted piston

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That could be from either a backwards piston or an improperly fitted piston
There's really only two ways they could go on, and all the arrows on all the pistons were facing forward.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Did you intend to post a picture of yout fuel pump eccentric? I don't see one but could be going blind again.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
That T mark is consistent with an untrue rod. Normal wearpatterns like those will be on the top (lifter galley side) and bottom (motor mount side) of the cylinder...from connecting rod thrust, yours appears to be on the front at the top....I bet it is also on the rear of the same cylinder at the bottom.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That T mark is consistent with an untrue rod. Normal wearpatterns like those will be on the top (lifter galley side) and bottom (motor mount side) of the cylinder...from connecting rod thrust, yours appears to be on the front at the top....I bet it is also on the rear of the same cylinder at the bottom.
All 8 cylinders have it. It's not deep, I can't feel it with my fingernail, so I think it will hone out. The pistons are scared as well, on the motor mount and lifter galley sides. Would me over heating it a few times cause that? The most recent time it read 240 on the gauge but the engine was still running fine. Fan belt flew off.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Top and bottom or in line with the rod is normal. That pic, looks like the T mark is in line with the notch in the piston that faces the front of the engine.

Have your crank turned. Don't get a parts store version. Or, like someone else mentioned, go the shop in your area that grinds cranks.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The T shaped mark was on the motor mount side of the cylinder, on number 8. Only cylinder to have it. So, faint verticle scratch marks are normal? They are on the thrust sides of the piston, liftergalley and motor mount sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor