Knockin' On Heaven's Door, what to do for a rod knock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I used the standard volume oil pump kit with the booster plate. I also have the adjustable regulator. Side gear clearance was .0025 if I recall. I've ALWAYS had great oil pressure, since I installed the plugs. I don't think a lack of oil pressure was the issue. I think it was just beating the piss out of a mostly stock motor with a stock bottom end, just had new bearings. Multiple times I'd be at WOT, and I mean WOT, straight to the floor, for MINUTES at a time. 4800rpm and climbing, albeit slowly. My math tells me I was doing 130ish. The car pooted out some blue smoke so I think that was related to the black scuff/combustion marks on #8 (pictured up there).

New bearings require no break in, as I have posted before driving a car hard will not harm the bearings. It will harm the valve train and you can cause a valve to drop but you won't destroy a bearing. If your car did not overheat when driving it rough then the oil did not overheat as well so the lubrication of the bearing would have been adequate unless there was an issue with the oiling system. With the bearing been spun that does not allow you to see if there was dirt that caused that bearing to fail. The #8 rod is bent which may have been bent when you put the engine back together. Did you check the bearings that were in the engine when you tore it down?. I always inspect the bearings when I tear down an engine, they tell you alot about how the engine was working

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
New bearings require no break in, as I have posted before driving a car hard will not harm the bearings. It will harm the valve train and you can cause a valve to drop but you won't destroy a bearing. If your car did not overheat when driving it rough then the oil did not overheat as well so the lubrication of the bearing would have been adequate unless there was an issue with the oiling system. With the bearing been spun that does not allow you to see if there was dirt that caused that bearing to fail. The #8 rod is bent which may have been bent when you put the engine back together. Did you check the bearings that were in the engine when you tore it down?. I always inspect the bearings when I tear down an engine, they tell you alot about how the engine was working
The rod is not bent. I think I'd notice a bent rod. I was poking and prodding at the crank with greasy oilly fingers, so that may be why it looks weird, but the rods are not bent.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The rod is not bent. I think I'd notice a bent rod. I was poking and prodding at the crank with greasy oilly fingers, so that may be why it looks weird, but the rods are not bent.

if the rod is not bent then please explain to me how the rod bearing is worn on one side. Did you read the article in the link I posted?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Pics of the black marks in the cylinders?

You can drill the oil galley pickup in the block to 5/8 with a long drill bit and it's best with a drill press. From the timing cover in the block to the pickup tube(along the oil pan rail on the passenger side of the block).

The Turbo Buick V6 cam bearing up front(B12B I think). Drill a small hole (0.060) in one of those plugs that got left out (in your original build) to spray oil on the distributor and fuel pump drive.

I don't recall the specific year, but, Buick did transition to cap screw style rod bolts. They seem to be preferred by some Buick builders.
Also, I uploaded pics of the black marks. There were only marks in #8.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Also, I uploaded pics of the black marks. There were only marks in #8.
Where? On another thread? I can't find them. Maybe I'm blind.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
When I get home I'm gonna take the #8 rod out and put a straight edge to it and see for sure. IF it is, I don't think that can be repaired, can it?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Here are the marks on cylinder #8. No other cylinders had these marks that I can tell. I'll be inspecting the engine further today. And maybe finding some more stuff. One once over is never enough.

Attachments

• 0213171301.jpg
    0213171301.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 0213171301a.jpg
    0213171301a.jpg
    812.6 KB · Views: 100
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor