Knockin' On Heaven's Door, what to do for a rod knock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Your bores will be fine IMO. I can see crosshatching in every area (unless I missed it). I'd guess from looking at the front cam bushing that your cam has had it as well.

Do you have any pics of the oil pump and housing?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Your bores will be fine IMO. I can see crosshatching in every area (unless I missed it). I'd guess from looking at the front cam bushing that your cam has had it as well.

Do you have any pics of the oil pump and housing?
No, but I can get some in a few hours.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I use a bronze tipped fuel pump rod with my roller cam....
How the hell could that even happen? It's an airtex fuel pump, stock replacement.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
How the hell could that even happen? It's an airtex fuel pump, stock replacement.
something was definitely wrong. I don't know what, but it takes a lot of force to cause that much wear in such a short time. Sorry your first engine build went this way but I want give you some credit for building an engine at your age. I think it is great. I do think you should consider that Buick 455 in the other thread. Something you can just give a spray can restoration and put in there and get your car running would be ideal. Then you could build the 350 if you had your heart set on it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

I don't know but that groove looks like the engine should have 1/2 million miles on it. If I were you I would grab that 455 in the other thread. You'd have to strip your block down and have it flushed out to make sure all the metal particles are removed before you put it back together with the new parts you need. That would cost you more than the 455 and what you need to drop that engine in place.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I don't know but that groove looks like the engine should have 1/2 million miles on it. If I were you I would grab that 455 in the other thread. You'd have to strip your block down and have it flushed out to make sure all the metal particles are removed before you put it back together with the new parts you need. That would cost you more than the 455 and what you need to drop that engine in place.
What 455?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor