Knockin' On Heaven's Door, what to do for a rod knock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttype

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2017
Brockville, Ontario.
it's just a fair question i hope. you can even tell me to go find the hiding spot too... 1 degree here(camshaft/timing gear), plus 2 degrees there(1/2 of 4 degrees ret/adv, camshaft manufacturing time) + approx 8-10 degrees(tolerances at 1976 timing cover plant) = oops.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm also pretty sure at WOT it was breaking up and detonating pretty bad. Tomorrow I'll take the top end off and peek inside.

just to let you know I beat your record on blowing up a new rebuild.....I put a SBC back together after I got home from a nite at the bar, that engine put a rod through the block within 15 minutes of firing it up....it had open headers so I talked myself out of the knocking I thought I heard.....:D

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
just to let you know I beat your record on blowing up a new rebuild.....I put a SBC back together after I got home from a nite at the bar, that engine put a rod through the block within 15 minutes of firing it up....it had open headers so I talked myself out of the knocking I thought I heard.....:D
Mind you that WOT surging/breaking up issue started two weeks ago with 5,000 miles on the motor, not 12 miles. :p

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
And it also poofed out blue smoke on the highway. I wonder what caused that? The initial breaking point?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Is there any dirt on #7 bearing and could be the oil passage on #7 was plugged. Did you make sure the oil passages in the crank were clean when you assembled the engine?
Yes. Crank was squeaky clean. Ran a thin pipe cleaner brush thing through the holes to knock anything out. Same with all oiling holes in the block. Flushed them out with water and air until the water was clean enough to drink. Caught some bits the initial hot tanking missed.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yes. Crank was squeaky clean. Ran a thin pipe cleaner brush thing through the holes to knock anything out. Same with all oiling holes in the block. Flushed them out with water and air until the water was clean enough to drink. Caught some bits the initial hot tanking missed.

That is strange then for one bearing to fail. If the bearing didn't spin were both halves of the bearing the same?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
how accurate is the timing pointer/harmonic balancer "0" compared to what "you" will calculate next time?
TDC is zero exactly as I recall. I'm gonna double check my double checks when I rebuild it again this summer. And I intend on running nascar style exhaust, exiting out the sides before the rear wheels, but buying some qalker quiet flows or something similar to quiet it down for testing and tuning. I've set off many a car alarm as well. My favorite thing to do back when I had my old Thunderbird was to go downtown where hundreds, if not thousands of people are on a given friday/saturday night, pop it in neutral, rev it to 4500 and quickly let off. sh*t sounded like a 12 gauge being fired. The donut gaskets on the manifolds were rotted away to it was basically an 11:1 big block 429 running open manifolds. Occasionally when I did it with my regal drunk chicks would go "WOOOOOOOO!" and their less drunk man friends would tell them to be quiet. fun times. No popping with the regal, but since there was little to no exhaust I would still get a little burble in decel.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That is strange then for one bearing to fail. If the bearing didn't spin were both halves of the bearing the same?
Both were scarred, if that's what you mean. The rod half was flattened out in the middle, like it was being pushed down super hard... which also leads to the detonation problem it had towards the end. R45tsx plugs, .045 gap, accell super stock 8mm wires, brand new HEI dizzy from TA. May have also been the carb air valve doors being a smidge too tight, but that wouldn't cause the erratic idle when the vacuum advance was plugged in or the detonation.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I believe that you haven't found the cause of your issue unless you 'misdiagnosed/misheard' the pinging. After 5000 miles of spirited driving it begins to ping/detonate with the vacuum can plugged in - the detonation was not caused by a rod bearing lubrication failure. It DOES NOT add up.

Did you look at the plugs with a magnifying glass checking for silver specs? Do you have pictures of the other rod bearings? How are the valve guides?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I believe that you haven't found the cause of your issue unless you 'misdiagnosed/misheard' the pinging. After 5000 miles of spirited driving it begins to ping/detonate with the vacuum can plugged in - the detonation was not caused by a rod bearing lubrication failure. It DOES NOT add up.

Did you look at the plugs with a magnifying glass checking for silver specs? Do you have pictures of the other rod bearings? How are the valve guides?
I didn't allude to the bearing making it detonate, I alluded to the idea that the detonation could've caused that rod to be forced down more aggressively that normal and wearing the bearing out and consequently allowing it to spin on the crank. And I still don't know why all of a sudden the car would run like crap with the vac advance plugged in, and ran and idled fine with it unplugged. I found a port on the carb that only had vacuum above idle rpm when the throttle blades started to open, and it ran worse on that than one that had less vacuum as the rpms rose. I checked with a working vacuum gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor